Part 19

"Millions of people have decided not to be sensitive. They have just grown thick skins around themselves just to avoid being hurt by anybody. But it is at great cost. Nobody can hurt them, but nobody can make them happy either."

- Osho

When Fyodor had woken up in the morning, Kate was already gone. She had left a suit hanging on the bathroom door, along with a handwritten note for him.

'Fyodor, I hope you don't mind but I've also got you a suit for this trip. Ivan helped me pick it out and figure out your size. I would appreciate it if you wore it today. I've gotten up early to run some errands, but I'll be back for breakfast, which is at 9:30. Sincerely, Kate'

He checked the clock and decided he could afford to take his time in getting ready. His mind was working, trying to figure out what he should say to Kate's father in order for him to be able to obtain her. He needed to approach this situation with care because this wasn't just anyone he would be negotiating with, it was Kate's father. Sure, he was going to have her leave her family for him at a later date, but for now, he needed them on his side. He was going to use them for his personal gain.

A devious idea formed in his head. It was something so cruel that even he was shocked he could come up with it. He could make the situation between her father and her worse and drive a wedge between them. Then, there Fyodor would be with arms open wide for her. She would be cornered and he would save her by scooping her up and running away with her. If he were to do this, he would certainly have a better hold on her and she would be less likely to leave him.

He let out a breathy laugh as he realised that he had been far too careful with her this last month. He wanted her and he was going to get her the way he usually did. He would have to become her saviour-- or at least appear to be one. He would present himself as her salvation, whether it be true or not. This was how he was able to get most people on his side; he would "save" them so that they might accept his open embrace. Then, he would exploit them or whatever he wanted before they lost their purpose and usefulness and would be eliminated.

He might not have known what he wanted from Kate just yet but he planned on figuring it out so that he could exploit her. This feeling of love he had for her couldn't be so simple, there must have been something else within it that he didn't comprehend just yet. She could just end up like the other women he had gravitated towards. They were used for some quick and easy fun before being eliminated by him, having lost their purpose.

Fyodor had been with many women before, all the same. They wanted to sleep with him because of the hold he had over their minds. They easily submitted to him and he had his way with them. Some he simply kept around for sex, others he had kept around just to torture psychologically, as a way for him to learn to better understand human emotions and reactions. They were the dolls he used to perfect his mind games, they were the reason he was able to become so manipulative so easily. He appreciated them for that, but not much else.

Kate had not submitted to him right away, in fact, she struggled a little bit in submitting herself to him. He appreciated that little fight she gave up, it made his chase that much more enjoyable. Since he didn't feel what he felt with his original dolls with her, he was confused by this. His realisation the night before scared him. If he was learning to love, that means he was also opening himself to become hurt.

After he had changed into the suit, he decided to leave his hair down and go talk to Kate's father. He found a butler who would take him to the head of the household. He checked his watch before he entered the room Christopher was in.

"Mister Dostoevsky, do come in." Christopher waved him in.

"Good morning, how did you sleep?" He asked Fyodor as he remained sitting behind his desk.