Part 1

"My life is very monotonous," the fox said. "I hunt chickens: men hunt me. All the chickens are just alike, and all the men are just alike. And, in consequence, I am a little bored. But if you tame me, it will be as if the sun came to shine on my life. I shall know the sound of a step that will be different from all the others. Other steps send me hurrying back underneath the ground. Yours will call me, like music, out of my burrow. And then look: you see the grain fields down yonder? [...] The wheat fields have nothing to say to me. And that is sad. But you have hair that is the color of gold. Think how wonderful that will be when you have tamed me! The grain, which is also golden, will bring me back to the thought of you. And I shall love to listen to the wheat in the wind..."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The story of Kate Chopin wasn't one that was destined to have a happy ending; her entire life was a tragedy. Many people envied her but she would've switched her life with someone else's in a heartbeat. They didn't realise how empty her head and her heart truly were. When you come from a family with as much money and fame as hers, you were always envied and seen as spoilt and entitled. Kate was the exact opposite, but nobody would ever know that.

She was a remarkable young woman. Not because of her beauty or her brains, but because of her accomplishments in life. She was a national tennis champion, not to mention her brilliant ice skating abilities. She excelled not only in sports but also in schooling. She had been accepted into all the best Colleges in America, and even abroad. She was a wonderful harpist and was known well throughout the harp community. She was the kind of girl everyone envied and aspired to be like. But what nobody knew was that Kate didn't choose to be that way, her parents did.

She grew up in upstate New York, attending only the most prestigious boarding schools. Her father was Christopher Chopin, an infamous American businessman known all around the world due to his wealth. Her mother, Daisy Chopin, was an ex-beauty queen turned trophy wife and mother of three. Kate was the youngest of the Chopin children. Her siblings were Marcella-- the eldest and most rebellious, and Antoine-- the money-hungry middle child. Compared to her siblings, Kate was the perfect vision of a Chopin child.

Kate shied away from the spotlight, preferring to be hidden in the background most of the time. Her ability, after all, threatened her daily life. Her ability was called, "The Awakening." Kate's ability gave her control over probability and chance. She could change the percentage of anything's probability. She could say the probability of her finding $100 on the street is 25% rather than the assumed 0%. The only notable catch to her ability was that it didn't work so freely and carelessly. The probability can be higher, but so must the danger be. Also, a high probability would make Kate very sick. And if the probability was ever at 100%, Kate would die. The higher the probability, the more dangerous and life-threatening it is for her. Because of this, her parents kept her hidden away from the world, never telling this deadly ability to a single soul outside of the family-- well almost no other soul. Kate's ability had to be registered and reported to the American government.

The American Special Abilities Division, or the ASAD for short, is an American governmental organisation run by a man named George Orwell, who didn't have an ability. The goal of this organisation is to keep America safe from ability related terrorist attacks, as well as keep track of other countries' ability users. This organisation is not a widely known organisation amongst the public and isn't formally recognised by the American government because of its constant spying on other countries, despite it being backed 100% by American government funds and resources.

Kate was a petite girl whose soft features resemble her mothers more than the rest of the family. Her golden yellow eyes shone like the sun, even on the darkest of days. Her pale blonde hair was only a few shades darker than her doll-like porcelain skin. The brightest part of her complexion was her rosy cheeks that always seemed to have a pink tint, despite her not blushing. Her nose was slightly pointed at the tip and was otherwise small. Her lips were nothing to brag about, but nothing to keep a secret either. They were definitely plumper than her siblings', but not necessarily bigger. In all honesty, she resembled a doll in her appearance and perhaps even her mannerisms.