Part 6

"When you are not fed love on a silver spoon you learn to lick it off knives"

- Lauren Eden

After a long day of negotiating with Fyodor, Kate was exhausted. He wanted a lot more than what the guild was willing to give. She was also trying to get the most out of him. Both knew the other's selfish motives and thus refused to settle on anything. Kate knew she couldn't win with just her words, she would have to use her ability. Because she needed a high percentage of probability, she would take a lot of damage.

Fyodor was also tired from negotiating, but not as much as Kate. He knew he would get his way eventually, he just needed to wear her down. And yet she was so stubborn, refusing to even take some of his suggestions into consideration. He was so ecstatic about seeing her in this new light. She was fighting not for herself, which was why she was so lively during the negotiations. However, as soon as they wrapped up for the day, she returned to being lifeless once again.

Kate had been wearing a green sleeveless dress with her hair tied up in a bun. She looked brilliant as she negotiated. Now, she was sitting on the bed in her room, taking her heels off. Her phone rang though, forcing her to abandon what she was currently doing. She rushed over and answered her phone.

"Katie!" Her sister screeched on the other side of the line. Kate winced slightly but only pulled the phone away from her ear.

"Marcella, how are you?" She asked, greeting her sister.

"I'm alright, mom's on my ass like usual. I heard you were on a trip for work." Her sister casually brought up the mission. Someone knocked on the door, making Kate jump again in surprise.

"Uh, yes, I'm on a trip right now. I'm in Moscow." She held the phone to her shoulder as she opened the door. Fyodor stood on the other side with a tray of tea.

"Oh, you do have that weird love of Russia." Marcella's eye roll was audible through the phone.

"Mister Dostoevsky, what can I help you with?" Kate asked, holding the speaker away from her mouth.

"I brought some tea for us. It would seem we've both had a long day and we could use some rest." He smiled with his eyes closed and tilted his head. He did look rather charming with these actions.

"Ah, yes, please come in. My call should only take a minute." She nodded her head and held the door open for him to enter the room. She closed it behind him.

"Yes, I'm listening, Marcy." She sighed into the phone.

"No, you weren't. But it's okay because I did hear a man talking to you about... Tea? Who is this mystery man? Is he cute? It's about time you've pushed away all the family traditions and lived for yourself." Marcella spoke quickly, but Kate was used to it.

"It's only work-related, please don't take it the wrong way." She shook her head as her cheeks tinted red.

"Oh, I can hear it in your voice! He's struck your interest! Well, you go have tea with him and then call me back later so I can hear all about him. Love you, baby!" Marcella sang.

"Goodbye, I love you too," Kate spoke softly, suddenly very shy in front of Fyodor. Marcella hung up as soon as she heard those words.

"I apologise for that." Kate set her phone down on the dresser, walking over to the two seats. Fyodor had set the tray down on the windowsill and was sitting in one of the armchairs.

"It's no problem at all, it gave me time to prepare the tea." He brushed it off as he stirred his tea with a spoon.

"Oh, I would've done that for you." Kate was red in the face once again. She was taught to always accommodate others, so preparing tea was natural for her to do.