Chapter 4 - Exploding Head

Start from the beginning

Guo Julin was nothing...

Su Qing felt as though a huge hole had opened in his heart. All his emotions had leaked out, and the only thing that remained was that unassailable, indecipherable, all-permeating sadness.

The sadness was too powerful, like a vast net sweeping him up whole. Then the pain dwindled away, the numbness disappeared, too, and Su Qing once again felt the icy chill of the unknown instrument under his body and limbs.

His vision was still blurred. He blinked, and a string of ice-cold tears rolled down from the corners of his eyes.

A white coat wearing a mask walked over and rudely undid his collar. Su Qing sat up in a muddle in the direction he was pulled. He hadn't come around yet. Following the white coat's finger, he looked down. Just below his collarbone, he found a grey half-moon mark with intricate patterns on it. They seemed to be moving.

The white coat coldly announced: "A rare Type 2 Auxiliary Type Blue Seal."

The woman leaning against the door clicked her tongue, straightened up, pushed the door open, and left. "How dull. He's not mine."

The bespectacled man seemed a little surprised. He came over with a smile on his face and leaned down to examine Su Qing. He extended a hand and gently wiped the tears off his face. "It seems we've been brought together by fate—what's your name?"

"...Su Qing."

"Su Qing. Nice name." The bespectacled man pulled him up. "I'm Chen Lin. Remember, from now on, you're my 'little grey.' Come with me."

Su Qing stood up. His arms and legs still weren't entirely obeying orders. He stumbled and nearly fell on his face. Then his disordered brain at last caught up, and he tottered after Chen Lin, subconsciously touching the mark under his collarbone. He assembled the fates of all the lowly cannon fodder in the stallion fantasy novels he had read over many years and somewhat worriedly asked, "...Brother, can you tell me the truth? Am I—am I still human?"

Chen Lin didn't look back, only asked in turn, "What do you think?"

Though Su Qing was completely in the dark now, perplexed and terror-stricken, subconsciously following Chen Lin, he still maintained a careful distance of four or five steps from him. He kept feeling that Chen Lin, gentle on the surface, with a smile for everyone he spoke to, was in fact very dangerous.

His hands looked like a pianist's, slender and long, but they could snap a person's neck—as he thought this, Su Qing twisted his neck uncomfortably, feeling lingering fear.

He assessed his condition and felt that something was different about him, but when he thought about it, he couldn't tell what the difference was. He looked down and didn't see any missing arms or extra tails. There was nothing but a moving tattoo.

While no one was around, Su Qing lifted his shirt a bit and looked inside. After a while, his expression turned miserable—this time, his vision wasn't blurry, and he could be certain—the designs on the tattoo really were moving. He thought, that bunch of Frankensteins hadn't planted some mythical venomous worm on him, had they?

He stared at Chen Lin, who had the back of his head aimed at him. He mustered his courage and said, "So...brother, I heard him say Type 2 Auxiliary Blue Seal just now. What does that mean?"

Chen Lin said, "It's a type of 'little grey.'"

"Oh..." Out of habit, Su Qing pretended to understand when he really didn't. Then he considered it. No, wait, so what was a little grey? This had to do with his own life. He had to get a clear answer. So he spoke again.