love is blind

oh look, another story i copied from a different book because i have writers block and can't finish anything else lmao

i'm blind. i haven't been blind forever but i've been blind for a while. it was the day after my 18th birthday when it happened. i woke up in the morning and i just couldn't see. i half thought my eyes were still closed until i touched my face and found them wide open. i screamed for my mom and was terrified when she ran in and i couldn't see her. she rushed me to the hospital who informed us that i had a previously undiscovered disease that caused the eyesight loss, and that there was nothing they could do. not even an eye transplant would help me, the chords attaching my eyes to my brain were the problem. i would be blind for the rest of my life.

i was inconsolable for almost a year after i found out the news. i refused to leave my house, sometimes even my bed, instead wallowed in the darkness that was my new life. i dropped out of university 2 months in and spent my miserable days listening to sad music and sobbing.

even a year after it all happened i still didn't want to rejoin society. i left the house a little more after getting used to my guide dog, a golden lab named manjoo as my parents told me, but not very often. i just couldn't deal with not knowing how to get around anymore. my friends would visit me occasionally but i hated the sound of pity in their voices when they spoke to me. overall, for the first 2 years of my new blind life, i was severely depressed.

it isn't until the third year that everything changes. i decide to go back to university to get my degree so i apply to the music program as a guitar player and surprisingly get in. i'm ecstatic, it's the first time in years i've actually felt something good, so i can't wait to start.

the first day is both exciting and scary. i'm almost 20, 2 years older than the others in first year, but i try not to think about that too much. it'd be easier if i was with people i already knew but it's what i have and i have to deal with it.

manjoo leads me to the music building where i meet jazz, the administrator for the program who will take me up to the department floor.

"are you (y/n)?" she asks. obviously she already knows the answer but i appreciate that she asks.

"i am," i reply. i hold a hand out in her general direction and she shakes it.

"let's go up so your dog can get acquainted with the floor," she says. i tell manjoo to follow her lead and we slowly make our way to the elevator.

"it's okay that i have manjoo with me, right?" i ask.

"we'll have to see if anyone has a dog allergy but if not, then yes," she replies.

"i actually have a dog allergy," i say, chuckling lightly. "i have to take pills every morning and night so i don't have a reaction."

"i'm sorry, that sounds difficult."

"it's okay, i'm used to it. better allergies than constantly getting lost."

the elevator announces its stop on the 9th floor so we walk out, jazz leading me and manjoo to a room.

"this is the main classroom for our department, you'll have most of your classes here," she explains. "if you'd like to walk around and get a feel for it you can."

i agree and let manjoo lead me around the room, making sure he gets to smell everything. jazz then takes us around the small floor, letting manjoo explore the practice rooms, student lounge, and other classroom like rooms. once i'm sure that manjoo has smelt everything, we make our way back to the main classroom. i have a class that starts in about 10 minutes so i sit down in the front row, thanking jazz for showing me around.

"it's no problem," she replies. "come and find me when you're leaving and i'll show you out."

i thank her again then she leaves me and manjoo alone in the classroom.

i feel someone sit beside me a few minutes later so i smile, hopefully in their direction.

"your dog is cute," the girl says.

"thank you," i reply, petting manjoo who sits on guard at his feet. "his name's manjoo. and mine's (y/n)."

"chaeyoung," the girl replies. "what are you here for?"

"piano."

"you can play? that's so cool!"

"why, because i'm blind?"

i only meant it in a teasing way but chaeyoung quickly assures me that's not what she meant.

"relax, i was joking," i say. "what about you?"

"singer songwriter, i play guitar," chaeyoung replies.

"i haven't played guitar in almost 3 years."

"is that how long you've been blind?"

"yeah, july 8th will be the 3 year anniversary."

"i'm sorry that happened to you."

"it's okay. it's been a hard few years but i'm learning to deal with it."

"how old were you?"

"18, it was the day after my birthday."

"oh, wow." chaeyoung's silent for a bit and i worry that she's left as i can't hear anything from her. until she says, "that's so crazy. if you don't mind me asking, what happened?"

"i had an undiscovered, slow growing disease and one morning i just woke up not being able to see anymore." i sigh, the memory of that day still fresh in my mind. "i just opened my eyes to complete darkness and it's been that way ever since. nothing they can do for me."

"i'm so sorry," chaeyoung whispers.

"it's okay," i assure her. "i've got my best buddy here to help me out so i'll be fine." manjoo licks my fingers to agree with my words and i chuckle.

"if you ever need or want anything, you can ask me, i'll be happy to help," chaeyoung offers.

"i'll keep that in mind, thank you."

i take chaeyoung up on her offer that day after class as she takes the same route home with me and when we're back at my house in invite her in for a drink. we take the drinks to my bedroom where chaeyoung gives me a run down on her life and family while i listen intently to remember it all.

as she talks, i'm surprised at how much i trust her already. i barely know her, i have no idea if she has good intentions, yet here she is in my bedroom where i keep all of my valuables. she could be here to take advantage of someone who can't fight back but in my heart i just know she isn't. i find that i really like her already. the sound of her voice, how soft her hands are on my arm, the warmth from her body, the smell of her perfume...she just feels like a genuinely nice person.

"(y/n)?" chaeyoung asks suddenly, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"oh, sorry, i must have zoned out," i said, laughing apologetically.

"it's okay," she says, a grin in her voice. "i was just asking if you wanted to listen to some music or something."

"yeah, that sounds nice."

and there, lying on my bed together, listening to music and laughing about anything and everything, i realize my feelings for chaeyoung are a lot stronger than i ever thought possible.

hope you liked this!! part two maybe?