joy

walking back into the recovery room, i feel my heart immediately melt in my chest. seeing chaeyoung holding our two hour old son is a sight i've been desperately waiting to see since she got pregnant.

deciding to have kids was something that came really easily to us. we've both always wanted to be parents so, after our wedding, we sat down and had a long chat about it. we decided that as i have a more stressful and busy job than chaeyoung, she would be the one to carry the baby. we went to the best sperm bank in the country and found the top candidate for us, a really handsome man the same age as us named jungkook. we actually got to meet him and he seemed really happy to be able to give us a child which made us feel even better about our decision. chaeyoung got pregnant almost immediately and luckily her pregnancy was an easy one with our son coming just a day past his due date at a healthy 8 pounds 6 ounces.

watching chaeyoung give birth was not an easy thing for me. she was in a lot of pain before she was able to get her epidural but even then seeing her so exhausted was horrible. i obviously had no idea what she was going through but i felt sympathy pains the entire time. i couldn't imagine how hard it must have been for her.

but finally, after a long 27 hours of labour and pushing, our beautiful baby boy was born and we're madly in love with him. we've been so excited to finally get to hold him and it's way better than we could have ever imagined.

chaeyoung looks up at me when she hears me enter and although she still looks exhausted, i can see the love and pride in her eyes which makes me tear up.

"how are you doing, baby?" i ask.

"tired but so happy," she replies.

"so am i."

sitting down beside her, i lean over and press a kiss on her lips then on jeongeun's forehead.

"i got you your favourite," i say, reaching into the mcdonald's bag.

"thank god, i'm starving," she sighs. she takes the food from me so in return i lift jeongeun off her chest and cradle him in my arms. his gorgeous big eyes open the second i'm holding him and the amount of joy and love i feel pour out of me is indescribable. i never thought i could love another person this much and he's not even my blood. perhaps it's because he looks so much like chaeyoung and i love her more than anything but he is just the most precious thing in the world.

"did you hear me, babe?" chaeyoung asks, interrupting my thoughts.

"what? no, sorry. what did you say?"

"i asked if you were hungry."

"oh, no, i'm okay for now."

i look back down at jeongeun and grin seeing him now fast asleep. his lips are all pursed up and with his tiny fist curled into my shirt, he looks like an adorable little monkey.

"he really is so beautiful, chae," i whisper.

"he is," she agrees. "he gets it from you."

i roll my eyes at that as obviously it's impossible but it's so adorable that my heart flutters anyway.

when chaeyoung finishes eating i toss the garbage into the bin and immediately notice her eyelids beginning to droop.

"get some sleep, baby," i tell her.

"no, i'm fine," she insists.

"chae, you've just given birth after being in labour for over 24 hours, you need to sleep."

"so do you."

"i'm not as tired as you are. just take a nap and i'll look after jeongeun." seeing her still hesitant look, i lean over and kiss her again. "i'm sure, chae. we'll be here when you wake up."