Chapter 24

⚠️SMUTTY SMUT SMUT⚠️

•One week later•

"It's been wonderful to meet you Y/n. We'll definitely be in touch in the coming weeks." John Rubeli, the label manager for Chop Shop Records, holds the door open with one hand a large cup of coffee in the other.

"Yea, you as well John. Thanks so much for your time. I look forward to working with you!" It's hard to hide the excitement from your voice as you exit the studio, waving once more, and head toward the parking lot.

You start the car with one hand while the other dials your cell phone with shaky fingers. It doesn't even ring once fully before you hear her voice on the other end.

"Baby, how'd it go? Tell me everything!" Her excitement somehow matches yours and it's almost as if you can feel her bouncing on the other end of the phone.

You pull out onto the busy streets of South Pasadena pulling your sunglasses down over your eyes.

"They decided to go in a different direction. Didn't know if I would translate to mainstream or not." You bite your lip holding back a smile and listen intently to the silence on the other end of the phone.

"Wait, what?" She answers, shock and disappointment evident in her voice.

"They signed me babe. We start recording next month!" You giggle excitedly as you merge onto the 210 heading west.

"Oh my God don't do that to me Y/n. Gave me a fucking heart attack. I knew they'd love you. I am so fucking proud of you Y/n. I love you so much." Your eyes glisten listening to the genuine joy in Lizzie's words.

"That's not even the best part babe, get this. Apparently the label is going through an entire rebrand and they dropped all but one of the bands that were signed to them previously."

"Even-"

"Yep." You cut her off finishing her thought before she can. "They were the first to go apparently. Something about being a publicity nightmare."

"Good fucking riddance." You both let out a content sigh as the weight of that knowledge dissipates from each of you.

"I'm in love with you Elizabeth Olsen." The muscles ache in your cheeks reminding you that you haven't stopped smiling since you left the record label.

"I love you too baby. So much."

"I just got on the highway I'm sure there'll be traffic so I should be home in about an hour."

"I'll be waiting."

You spend the drive home reminiscing about the last year of your life and how it's changed since Lizzie. It's been a roller coaster for sure but she's always been there at the end of it. Your thoughts drift to the therapy session the two of you shared a few days ago.

"It's not you versus your partner; it's you and your partner versus the problem."

———————————————————————

As you walk through the front door, dropping your keys in the bowl beside you the faint sound of Frank Sinatra fills your ears.

You head toward the sound stopping abruptly as your feet trip over a shoe in the middle of the foyer. Lizzie had these on this morning before you left for your meeting. Rising back to your feet, shoe in hand, your eyes follow a long line of strewn about clothes trailing through the kitchen. All items Lizzie was wearing this morning.

You make your way into the kitchen stopping at the center island where a glass of champagne bubbles softly in a flute perched atop a note.