°•twenty seven•°

"The plan is the same. We lead the herd away. Just not from Oceanside like we planned. Once the walkers are clear, we evacuate to rendezvous point B," Gabriel leads, "Luke, are we ready?"

Luke looks up from where he was preparing the radio and nods, "Uh.. Yeah. Technically."

He stands up to explain in full.

"So, these are the final pieces that we need to connect to the wagon. But, in order for it to do the pied piper thing that we need it to do over the cliff, we gotta get from A to B and I gotta plug and plug. Then, we should be good to go."

"That wagon is on the other side of the herd," Magna reminds.

"So, someone's gotta go through it? With skins in there?" Jerry questions.

"Five groups, two in each. One carries the cargo, one protects," Tara decides, leading alongside Gabriel.

"That's it," Gabriel nods in agreement, "It's crucial that all the equipment makes it to the wagon."

"We can make it through," Lydia nods, "I'll help."

My hesitance knew better. Lydia knew the Whisperers better than anyone. She'd know what to do.

"We're willing," Bea agrees, "But, not if she goes."

Rachel nods in agreement to Bea's words, before stepping into her own leader position.

"We know she's earned trust with you, but.. Oceanside isn't ready," Rachel explains.

She catches my eyes and I already knew what was coming.

"Kate was one of our leaders. We haven't been able to move one just yet, we hope you understand."

I sigh, looking to the ground.

"That's fine. As it happens, Lydia's role is in here," Gabriel assures.

Lydia frowns, crossing her arms as she steps back down.

"Look, we're not all gonna make it through. But, this is the only way," Daryl offers.

"If Daryl's going in, so am I," Kelly shrugs.

--

"We could switch," Carl offers.

"Last time you did this, you know what happened," I remind.

"There's no asshole with a gun this time," he says, referring to Ron.

"Nope, just a bunch of freaks in skins," Michonne scoffs, "Much better, right?"

"I just don't get why you won't let me go," Rick sighs, placing more blood on Michonne's clothes.

"There's no other free person left," Michonne shrugs.

"Here," Carl whispers, placing the hood over my head before smearing the blood over it as well.

"Is it hard to believe this is my first time doing this?" I wonder.

Rick, Michonne, and Carl all look to me at once and I cringe.

"Probably shouldn't have said that," I sigh.

"I've done this too many times to count. It's how we got out of that military camp," Rick recalls.

"I've done this at least twice," Carl nods.

"Do I count?" Lydia wonders, "If so, I'm pretty sure I have you all beat. Combined."

"Okay, this isn't a competition to see who racks up the most times strolling through herds in guts," Michonne scolds.