five

he woke up to the door creaking open slowly. his eyes fluttered open and through lidded eyes, clay saw the boy--george--walk and meet his gaze, realizing that he was awake.

"you're up," he deadpanned.

clay rolled his eyes as best as he could. "no shit."

"how are ya feeling?" george asked.

"could be better, but, i'm going to head home now....thanks." clay sat up, ignoring his pounding head and shoved himself off the bed.

as he fluffed up his hair, george said, "i never got your name."

"clay." he said quickly and stepped out the door, rushing down the stairs and out the front door. as he got his skateboard and set it down on the ground, clay checked his phone, seeing that the time read '4:15pm' and he had multiple missed messages from nick and punz.

nick
did you go back home?
12:22pm
clay
12:25pm
dude, seriously answer, u
always answer ur phone
12:27pm
if youre pulling a prank its
not funny
12:35pm
its been an hour clay
1:36pm
plz fucking answer
1:36pm
we just swung by ur home
and u weren't there, where
the fuck are you?
3;03pm
clay plz answer
3:04pm

chewing on his lower lip and pulling on the ring piercing, clay switched over to his messages with punz.

punz
you arent answering nick
12:30pm
clay
12:30pm
if this is some short of
sick joke then quit it, its
not funny
12:37pm
what the fuck are you doing?
2:42pm
we're about to go to ur house,
you better fucking be there
2:50pm
WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU?
3:04pm
clay this shit isn't funny
3:07pm

holy fuck, they cared that much?

he answered nick first.

...
plz fucking answer
1:36pm
we just swung by ur home
and u weren't there, where
the fuck are you?
3;03pm
clay plz answer
3:04pm

clay
god, im fine nick
4:19pm

nick began typing immideately.

nick
dude what the actual fuck!
4:19pm
you say ur fine when u disappeared
for over like 2 hours
4:19pm

clay
look im sorry
4:19pm

nick
im sorry my ass, where the
fuck were you?
4:20pm

clay
i was riding around and then
passed out at someones house
4:20pm

nick
who's?
4:21pm

clay
somebody, but chill, i know em
4:21pm

nick
you better fucking know em
4:21pm

clay switched back over to punz's, who had sent him another message.

punz
so u answered nick
4:19pm
he sent me a ss of ur
convo, r u home?
4:21pm

clay
im omw home
4:22pm

punz
for the love of god plz
text us when u get home
4:22pm

clay sighed and pushed against the sidewalk to pick up his speed. had they really cared that much?

he didn't have much... experience with being cared.

if thoses were the correct words to use.

ever since he was young, his parents never gave him as much care like his sister.

if he ran away, they wouldn't notice until at least an hour later.

hurt? they won't notice until he said something. but he usually decided to just stay quiet, he got to scared to go up to them.

sick? buy or own medicine, they wouldn't go to the doctor until clay begged.

life fucking sucked back then.

it still kind of did.

but not as much.

as he pulled up into his house, clay sent both nick and punz a text saying that he was home, since he had promised. after entering the house and kicking off his shoes, clay noticed his mom in the kitchen, making some sort of dinner. and knowing his mom, it would take like an hour.

his sister, ally, was lying sprawled out on the couch, watching tv. patches, their cat, sat on her lap, but once she noticed clay enter, she meowed happily and trotting after him with her tail raised high.

he smiled as he took the steps two at a time and entered his room. patches immideately hopped onto his bed, making herself comfortable on his plush bed. he laughed, but it almost sounded forced.

once again, his stomach began to lurch and roll and clay stumbled into the bathroom, falling onto his knees before the toilet and lurching forwards, his throat working up almost nothing.

he stayed there for about ten minutes until he got up, flushed the toilet and washed his mouth.

when he stepped out of the bathroom, there was a bowl of simple noodles with a fork and a note on the plate beneath it. with a curious face, clay picked it up and read it.

mom made some fancy stuff but I know you like it simple, so i just brought up a bowl of noodles for you, i heard you in the bathroom, i hope ur okay :(

love, your favorite lil sister, ally <3

he smiled, a small, real smile. he loved his sister. thirteen year old ally. his sister knew what happened between him and his parents, about how they cared about her more, but that never changed her.

lazily, clay plopped onto the bed, the matress giving him a little bit of a bounce as he pulled the plate and bowl onto his lap. he stuffed the note into the drawer of his nightstand before picking up the fork and beginning to eat.

after he finished eating, clay set the plate a bowl on anothe surface and flopped onto his bed. patches meowed loudly and hopped onto his chest. clay laughed and kissed her forehead as his mind drifted off into an endless abyss of thoughts.