Chapter 51 Lovers, Fathers & Babies

Start from the beginning

‘Yes,’ agreed Lucius. ‘The first child of a titled couple will be the Heir to the eldest House. Obviously, it doesn’t include the Old House of Malfoy as I already have an Heir.’

‘And Slytherin is the eldest house?’ asked Harry frowning. ‘I thought that would be Ambrosius or Le Fay?’

‘The Ancient and Noble House of Slytherin proceeds either house by almost two hundred years,’ agreed Lucius.

‘Is there any names you like?’ asked Harry.

‘The Malfoys are fond of using Roman emperors and empresses,’ Lucius admitted, ‘but as the child will be a Slytherin who were extinct until a few years ago there is no need to adhere to any naming traditions,’ Lucius said calmly.

‘Naming traditions?’ asked Harry nervously. ‘What are naming traditions?’

‘Most – not all families have naming traditions,’ explained Lucius. ‘Not that all couples chose to carry on the traditions as they can be quite limiting as to what you can name a child. Also, as it’s your first son his middle name would normally be Hadrian.’

‘Because Draco’s already named after you?’ asked Harry.

‘No,’ Lucius denied. ‘As the one from the more powerful family it would be expected our first son would be named after you whether I had a child or not. Our second son would be named after me and so on. Not all families follow those rules but it is considered a great insult not to name the child after the father. Unless as in your case the father did not wish to be named so you were named Salazar in respect for your ancestry.’

‘Let’s have a look at this book then,’ Harry said nervously. ‘Any preferences?’

‘Interesting but not ridiculous,’ Lucius said.

‘What about Brawley?’ Harry asked straight faced.

‘Don’t even joke about such things,’ Lucius said looking horrified.

‘So is there any way to quickly find Roman emperor names?’ asked Harry.

‘There’s a list at the back,’ Lucius said. ‘There are several lists of common themed names that wizards use such as emperors, saints, Arthurian, mythology and botanical.’