Part 4

I walk towards the patient's room and stand in front of the glass door, looking at her. She was laying on her bed with tubes attached to her arms. There was her husband sitting next to her, holding her hand. I took a deep breath and walked in. I closed the door and immediately their eyes darted on me. I ignored their shock and walked towards the end of the bed and grabbed her chart. An awkward silence filled the room as I read the chart. I was surprised by her chart and my jaw almost dropped. It said she was 8 months pregnant. Her symptoms were very odd to me so I walked towards her to check out her blood- pressure.

-Interesting...- I say and examine her body with my eyes. I noticed swelling on her arms but that was the only body part that was visible to me aside from her face which was also swelling.

- May I? – I ask politely and she nods. I lift up her sheet and revealed her body. She was wearing a hospital gown and her pregnant belly was showing alongside her legs. I noticed her legs were also swelling and so were her hands. I return her cover and exit the room without looking at them or saying a word. As soon as I left I heard someone running after me and saying my name. I walked towards the table with computers where nurses sit and I took her chart to add the new symptoms and he said – Allison wait please- with sadness in his voice and a hint of desperation. I took a deep breath and turned around to face him.

-Please I- - he starts but I raise my hand in stop motion and slightly shake my head no.

-No. You don't have to explain anything. – I say in hopes he would leave me alone but it didn't work.

- I didn't know you work here. If I did... I would never come here I promise. I'm sorry. You see my wife... Amber she...she fainted and I didn't know what to do- he stutters out but I cut him off

– Todd it's okay. I understand and I don't mind. – I say with a sour smile on my face. In reality, I would love it if both of them died but since that's not an option and I am under oath..... I have to put up with this. The faster we figure out what's wrong with her, the sooner they leave and I can't wait for that.

-I'm really sorry Allison. I'm not in any way here to rub anything in your face..especially with the pregnancy and everything.- he said and that felt like someone stabbed me right in the heart. I can't believe he would say something like that after what I went through. I will admit it's bitter for me to watch them together and her pregnant knowing that those same people took that away from me.

-Todd, please... I don't want to talk about this right now. Let me work and let me help her so that you can leave and I don't have to look at you ever again.- I say and walk off before he could say anything else. I felt like I wanted to throw up so I headed towards the nearest toilet to do so. I washed my face with cold water and stared in my own reflection when I saw him stand behind me, twirling his cane and looking at me with a smirk. I knew sarcastic comments and dumb questions were about to drop and I wasn't feeling like dealing with him. I grabbed the toilet paper and dried my face and hands while keeping eye contact with him.

- I don't want to do this right now- I say and try to walk past him but he puts his cane on the door frame and in front of me, stopping me from going anywhere. I roll my eyes and look at him with annoyance hoping that if he sees I'm mad he would let me go. Instead, he leaned forward closer to my face, still keeping the eerie smile on his face.

- What are you hiding?- he says and I lose my words. I immediately get a flashback of my daydream from earlier today and now I'm confused if this was another one or if that dream was real.

-N-nothing, what would I hide?- I ask and he tilts his head to the side.

- The conversation between you and the patient's spouse was pretty..... heated. What was that about? I thought you didn't have a problem with them.- he says.

- How did you... Are you following me?- I ask and he smirks even more- No I was there the whole time you just didn't see me. You're still avoiding my question.- he says.

-I know you like puzzles so I think telling you would spoil the fun, right?- I ask him and smirk myself to which he didn't expect and I noticed a slight surprise but he kept his cold expression.

- So I think I should let you figure it out on your own.- I wink at him and walk under his cane to pass through, back to his office where I wanted to discuss a new diagnosis with the team.