Nineteen

Hisoka's pov

  I was starting to get bored that evening and sighed, pulling Illumi into a hug without thinking about it. What surprised me was that he didn't pull away, and I decided to try to kiss his head. Again, he didn't pull away. I blinked a couple of times and tilted his face towards mine with a finger.

  "Are you alright, dear?" I asked Illumi.

  He nodded, and slowly put his arms around my waist. I was shocked, unsure of what to do. I could feel my heart racing in my chest as he rested his head on my shoulder.

  "Okay," it was all that I could say in that situation.

  I started stroking his hair, causing him to press his body closer to mine. I smiled and pulled Illumi onto my lap. He blinked at me, but then just rested his head on my chest. I saw that he closed his eyes and I chuckled. He must have been tired from the fighting was my first thought. No. He wouldn't get tired from a few easy fights, this was Illumi. It was something else causing him to act like this.

  "Why are you so soft right now?" I asked, still smiling.

  He looked up at me with a blank expression and shrugged. "I care for you, and most people show others how much they care with physical touch I think."

  I laughed at that, holding him close to me. "That's cute, but how do you know I won't kill you?"

  He just shrugged again. "If you manage to kill me then I deserve it for letting my guard down. Mother taught me that."

  I put my lips close to his ear and kissed his jaw. "Don't worry, I won't kill you yet. I care for you too."

  Illumi sat up, shaking his head. "No. You can't say that. Assassins don't need people to care for them. It will only hold them back."

  "Or maybe," I said, looking into his eyes and moving a strand of hair out of his face. "I'll help you go further than you would alone."

  I could see that his eyes changed, they became both brighter and softer. I carefully held his chin and moved it down until our faces were an inch apart. I kept it there for a second, not wanting to ruin the moment. Illumi surprised me again when his hand came up to my face and cupped my cheek gently.

  "You'll help me go further?" He asked, his eyes wide.

  "I promise."

  Illumi closed the distance between our faces and kissed me softly. I kissed him back, holding him against my chest. I could feel my eyes tearing up at the thought of Illumi loving me.

  He pulled back, gripping my shoulders. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have-"

  I cut him off by leaning in and kissing him again. I put more passion into this one, and I could feel Illumi shifting his body as he kissed me back. His arms wrapped around my neck and he pulled my hair softly. I quietly moaned and bit Illumi's lip. My hands went up his sides and held his waist, gripping him tightly. His tongue brushed my lip and I gasped slightly, opening my mouth. I entered his mouth with my own tongue, gripping him harder. Illumi pushed his body into mine as he started hitting my tongue with his.

  When he finally pulled back we were both breathing heavily, and I could see a faint pink on his cheeks. Illumi slowly got off of me and sat on the couch. I looked over at him and saw that his usually empty eyes now had light behind them. I smiled and took his hand. He hesitated for a second, then squeezed my hand back.

  "Thank you, Hisoka," he murmured.

  "What are you thanking me for?" I asked him.

  "For allowing me to care for you, and you caring for me as well. No one has ever done that before, not even Kil."

  I kissed his hand and looked into his eyes. "You're welcome, Illu-chan."

  I let go of his hand, stretching my back. I looked at the clock and checked the time. It was six-thirty, and I was starting to get hungry.

  "Do you want to get food?" I asked Illumi.

  He nodded and stood up. "Where are we going?"

  "There's a restaurant not too far from here, and the food's not bad," I said, walking towards him.

  Illumi kissed my cheek, and I felt my face grow warm. I took his hand, and we left the arena. The restaurant was only a few minutes away, so we walked there. I noticed that Illumi was a lot tenser as we were walking down the street, and he took his hand from mine, gripping his elbows. I put my arm around his shoulders, pulling him into me. I smiled, and he looked at me, calming down slightly.

  The restaurant wasn't super busy once we got there, and we easily found a table for us. Illumi went to pull my chair out for me and I laughed, not used to this behavior. He sat down opposite me and we just looked into each other's eyes until the waitress came over.

  "Good evening, sirs. Here are the menus. Please call me over once you have decided what you would like today," she said.

  Illumi took a menu, thanking her. She hovered around for a little once she gave me mine, looking at me. I smirked, opening the menu. It was simple food, nothing super fancy. I decided to go for the fillet mignon.

  "Have you decided, love?" I asked Illumi.

  He nodded, closing the menu. I waved the waitress back over and I ordered my food. Illumi looked up at the waitress and told her what he wanted. "I'll have the alfredo and can you bring us a bottle of your finest chardonnay?"

  The waitress blinked a couple of times, but then hurried off. I raised an eyebrow. "Chardonnay? Do you always like expensive wine?"

  Illumi shrugged. "The cheap stuff tastes different. I hope they have chateau montelena. That one tastes quite nice."

  I smiled and held his hand over the table. I narrowed my eyes slightly, pulling a card out of my pocket. "Do you want to see a trick?"

  "Of course I would," Illumi said.

  I let go of his hand, holding up my card. I shook my hand, producing a whole deck of cards out of seemingly nowhere. "Pick a card."

  Illumi picked one, looked at it, and put it back in the deck. I shuffled the cards and pulled one out at random. I held it up, but he shook his hand. I put down the rest of the cards and covered the one in my hand. When I moved my hand, a rose was there. I scattered the petals, and one landed in front of Illumi. He looked at it and his mouth fell open.

  "Is this your card?" I asked in a quiet voice.

  "Yes. The four of hearts. How did you do that?" He asked, still shocked by my trick.

  I laughed, not telling him. He was still looking at the petal and blushed slightly. The waitress came with our food and drink, placing them in front of us.

  "Would you like me to pour you a drink, sir?" She asked Illumi, batting her eyelashes.

  I tried not to laugh at her weak attempts to flatter him. He just shook his head, looking at the petal that was now in his hand. The waitress put down the bottle and left the table.

  We ate our meals in silence, and Illumi poured us each a drink. I tried some. He was right, this stuff was good. Once we were done, he waved the waitress over and I asked for the check. She came back a few minutes later, placing it in front of Illumi. I tried not to laugh, and Illumi was staring at me.

  "What's so funny?" He asked me.

  "Ah, nothing much love. It's just that when two people of the same gender get the check, the waiting staff tend to leave it in front of the one they believe to be the top in that relationship," I explained, laughing.

  Illumi rolled his eyes and paid. We left the restaurant holding hands, and it was starting to get dark. We walked back to our room, and I felt tired. I couldn't wait to get into bed and sleep.