One

It had been two months since Hisoka and Illumi had passed the Hunter exam, and Illumi was carrying out a mission that was too unimportant for his father to take care of.

  "Illumi," the older assassin said. "I need you to kill these men for me." He handed some documents to his son. Illumi quickly flicked through it, getting the information he needed from it. Six men, all wealthy. Drug criminals and murderers.

  And that was why he was running through the woods with Hisoka, on their first official mission together. Illumi didn't tell the other man, but this mission was a way of Silva testing Hisoka and seeing if he was a suitable companion for his eldest son.

  They stopped in the clearing where they were informed the men would make base, and the two men jumped into trees, opposite to each other. Illumi motioned to Hisoka to use zetsu. The magician nodded and shrouded his aura. They both sat silently in the trees, waiting for their prey to come.

  Within a few minutes, they could feel the presence of several men. Illumi crouched on his branch, waiting for the perfect moment so that he could strike. That time came soon enough, when the five men sat down, laughing and talking about their day. None of them were looking up into the trees, and Illumi prepared his needles. He threw two poisoned ones at the men furthest away from his position. Once they dropped dead, he jumped onto the same branch as Hisoka. The two men nodded to each other and looked down at the remaining four men. They noticed that the other two men were dead, and chaos soon erupted. The two killers jumped down, taking on two men each.

  Hisoka threw cards at the two men, pinning them into a tree. He then attached bungee gum to their chins, smirking to himself. The men were starting to put up a fight, and he could feel himself starting to get excited. He took his cards from the men, and they charged at him, pulling knives out of their pockets. They started swinging the knives, trying to catch Hisoka who dodged them. He was really excited now, and couldn't help telling out in pleasure. He threw the two men into the air with his bungee gum and forced them to crash into the floor. He then threw his cards into their bodies, hitting their limbs so he could hear them scream in pain. The magician licked his lips and moaned, throwing more cards at them to finish the two men off. He walked over to the bodies and retrieved his cards, and removing the bungee gum. He turned around and saw that the assassin was just finishing off his two as well.

  Illumi ran up to the two men, throwing his paralyzing needles at them. The two men fell to the ground, unable to move their bodies. Illumi stood above them, looking down at the two victims. He could hear Hisoka moaning in the background, though he paid no notice to his partner. Slowly, he crouched down, keeping eye contact with one of the men. He got out his needle that contained slow and painful poison and started to cut the man's arm with it. Blood started to flow out, and the assassin could see the fear and pain in his prey's eyes. He then stabbed him multiple times in the chest, each time pulling the needle down to give him more damage. Satisfied, Illumi turned and did the same to the other man, not stopping until he could see the life drain out of his eyes. He stood up and brushed himself down, turning towards Hisoka.

  "My, my," the magician said, licking the blood off of the card that was held between two of his fingers. "That was quite the show, dear Illumi. We must do it again some time."

  "Hisoka," Illumi said, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Spare me your flattery, and let us go home."

  This received a chuckle. "Illumi Zoldyck, flattered by a mere magician. I am most honored."

  The two men walked out of the woods in silence, and towards the Zoldyck mansion. If this mission went well enough, which Illumi was hoping it did, then he wouldn't have to go to that miserable place for a long time.

  Hisoka was looking intently at Illumi when they got to the mansion and was impressed at the way the man's muscles tensed as he pushed open all seven gates to get into his estate.

  "You never fail to impress me," Hisoka murmured under his breath, following Illumi through the gate.

  They walked up the long and winding path to the guards post. The young girl standing there greeted Illumi as he passed her, and she received a small nod in return. They continued up the path until they reached the mansion. Standing by the large door waiting for them was a servant.

  "Your father has requested that the two of you join him in his chambers," he said to them.

  Illumi looked down at the man with no emotion on his face. "Tell father that we will be there soon. We're going to freshen up in my room first."

  The servant bowed his head and hurried off inside, and Illumi lead Hisoka to his room. The two men changed their clothes and washed the blood from their hands and faces. Illumi brushed his long hair as Hisoka painted his face.

  They left Illumi's bedroom and headed for Silva's chambers. Once they got to the corridor that the assassin's room was located on, they were hit with the feeling of a very strong aura. Hisoka swallowed slightly, though Illumi's expression didn't change. Both men could think of nothing but the conversation that was about to take place. They looked at each other, took a deep breath, and walked towards Silva Zoldyck's room.

  Illumi knocked on his father's door, and was greeted with a brisk "come in". They walked into the room and stood to face Silva.

  "So," he said. "I would like to firstly congratulate you on your work today, Hisoka. Not every man can kill in cold blood."

  Hisoka nodded, not even thinking about how he knew what happened out there.

  "Illumi, I trust this man with your safety. If he betrays that trust, I will have him instantly killed."

  "Yes, father."

  Hisoka was slightly confused. He and Illumi talked about living together to make assassinations easier, but he didn't expect it to be this easy to convince Illumi's father.

  Silva closed his eyes and leaned back. "You two are free to go."

  The two men bowed and walked back to Illumi's room to pack his stuff.

  Illumi turned to his friend and gave him a small nod. "Looks like I'm free to go."

  They left the mansion together and Illumi felt as if a large weight was lifted from his shoulders. Finally, he was free.