Inspired by Travelin Soldier

AN: This is using the Miraculous Characters in a different place and time in this case in America between 1955-1975.  

Mari stood behind the counter at the coffee shop, willing her shift to be done when he walked in. A boy, tall, with decently long hair, dyed blue and dressed in army green. He smiled at her and found both setting his stuff down, he wondered to the front, "Can I have a coffee and croissant?" 

"Of course, take a seat and I'll bring it right out." Mari gave him a soft smile. The poor boy seemed a bit shy. He quickly went back to his seat. He pulled out a notebook and started writing.  

She walked over softly and gave him his treat and drink. He looked up at her, "Would you mind sitting down for a while and talking to me? I'm feeling a little low, the store seems a little slow." 

She gave him a soft smile, "I'm off in an hour and I know where we can go." She walked back to the counter making quick work to clean up so she could leave as soon her coworker arrived. Soon 15 minutes was all that was left in her hour. She went to the back and checked her hair bow, she'd come straight from marching band practice, so her bright red bow stood in stark contrast to her black dress and brown apron. Soon her coworker arrived and she left her apron behind and when to meet the boy in army green. 

"Come I'll take you to the pier." She took some of his bags and he offered his arm to her. She smiled softly and led the way. They found a spot and enjoyed the sounds of the shore. "Mind telling me what your writing?" 

"Songs. I live for music." He flipped the book, showing her pages and pages of writing. 

"Then why go to war?" She pointed to the pile of bags and army green.

"Music takes money." He said sadly. "My names Luka Couffaine. I turned 18 two days ago." 

"Marinette, I just turned sixteen." She gave him a small smile. 

"So you're still in high school?"

"Yep even in the marching band." She smiled proudly letting her hair sway in her high ponytail. 

"Can I ask you something, I've liked talking to you, and well..." He took a deep breath. "I bet you got a boyfriend but I don't care. I got no one to send a letter to... Would you mind if I sent one back here to you?" 

Her heart leapt in her throat, "I don't have a boyfriend, I wouldn't mind if you wrote me. I'll even write back you seem like a sweet guy." Had he no family? No one who would miss him? 

He let out a sigh of relief. "Good." He handed her his notebook, and she wrote her address down for him. They talked for a little while longer and she walked him to the bus station, bid him farewell, even kissed his cheek. He waved goodbye and she stood there watching a tear rolled down her cheek, she was crying for a man she just met? Why did she feel like the best thing in her life had just walked away?

***

His first letter came from California. Her mother stood and shook her head, "Don't you go falling for this man, Mariette. You're too young for him and waiting for the love of a travelling soldier is too dangerous." 

Marinette didn't care, she liked him, and when he came home they would go on a real date and see if there was something really real here. She just knew it. After a few letters, she wrote to him of her feelings, "Don't you worry I'm never gonna hold the hand of another guy. They tell me I'm too young for you. But I'll wait for the love of a travelling soldier. I think our love will never end, I'll wait for the soldier to come back again. We'll never more be alone when you're letter says  soldier's coming home."

He wrote back from Vietnam, "This might be love" and He wrote other things he was so scared of, like promising a ring and waiting till she graduated school. He couldn't;t wait to see her again and kiss her for the first time. He wrote to her "When it's getting kinda rough over here I think of that day sittin' down at the pier and I close my eyes and see your pretty smile. Don't worry but I won't be able to write for a while." She smiled at the photo he'd sent her, his blue hair gone, just a short black buzz cut. She slipped the small pocket photo into the pocket of her skirt. 

It had been a year since she met her boy in army green. Two months since his last letter, she was hopefully waiting for another. But she had no time to worry now, It was home game time, she had to play in the band. Her red bow high atop her head and red and blue marching band dress pressed and ready to go. They played and performed perfectly. Everyone clapped and the band to wait for the halftime show under the bleachers. 

After the Lord's prayer and the anthem was a song, a man stepped up. "Folks would you bow your head for the list of local Vietnam dead." Only one name was read that night and everyone looked around trying to see who the family of the boy named Luka Couffaine was. Nobody heard the girl who had just played the piccolo in the marching band cry, from under the bleachers, She clung to his picture like it was a lifeline, she fell to her knees and cried. 

A few weeks later two shoulders showed up at her door with Luka's belongs. "Both from the base and from he what he left in storage. She looked through it, finding his notebook and seeing his old guitar, he'd told her about. She flipped through the book deciding his songs needed to be heard, she learned the guitar and went from town to town singing the songs of her Travelin Soldier.