Everyday

Bea De Leon & Maddie Madayag

•••

She sat comfortably at a bench here at Pier 39 with the wind blowing and touching her skin. She needed to breathe air after almost flunking her finals and she cannot afford to because that would cost her scholarship. Not that she can't to continue without one, but she won't allow losing what she worked hard for.

Life in San Francisco wasn't what she dreamed to be. At first it seemed fine, she has an extended family who took her in upon moving here. She got to explore the states in courtesy of her Aunt and Uncle before entering the University. The future was bright for this lass, she chose a good course and one of her major goal was to get that Citizenship.

Turned out to be a bumpy road after a year of living there. She declined financial support and insisted on fending for herself as soon as she had her first job. This caused a bit of a discussion within the family, and they tried giving her options to make her life easier because they were rich. She didn't have to work in the first place. In the end, she refused and embraced the reality of the American Dream, it was hard but it made her mature.

Five years later today, she is sitting at this bench and taking fresh air. Still thinking about how scary this term was, and the fact that she almost failed. She won't be able to graduate at the end of her next term and extend if she did flunk. One reason for this is her hard time concentrating after getting a job which pays a lot higher than her previous ones. Therefore, her new job required more work hours so she had to do some adjustments on her schedule.

"Uhm, excuse me?"

Bea was brought back to her senses by that voice. Her eyebrow raised at the sight of a wallet without looking up at the person who is reaching it. Then she checks her pocket after seeing an ice cream truck. Her heart raced because her wallet isn't there. Panicking, she proceeds to scramble through her backpack not minding the person in front of her.

"No." Bea repeatedly whispered to herself as she continued to search for her wallet. Her shoulder was tapped and Bea finally looks up to the person holding a wallet earlier. "Y-You..."

"You were in a hurry and left this under your desk at class after our exams." The latter smiled and took Bea's hand to place the lost wallet. Bea couldn't speak up, she was dumbfounded at her clumsiness again.

"How did you find me?" Bea asked after taking back her wallet and inserting it on her pocket. She is surprised at her classmate's effort of finding her just to return the wallet.

"Chris told me you always go here after class." The girl said and Bea nods in response. Bea doesn't have the slightest idea who she is because they never talked, all she knew is her name and Chris being her friend who is Bea's friend as well.

"A place to breathe." Bea exhaled a huge sigh of relief, she's thankful for not losing her wallet. "Maddie, right?" She points to which the latter nods. Bea reaches for her hand and they do a handshake.

"This is funny, we never talked before and now we're sitting here." Maddie laughed and shook her head at this unexpected event. She has been curious about Bea for the longest time. Maddie was captivated to say the least but only has little information about her. Today, they are sitting beside each other and Maddie's interest grew even further. "You're beautiful."

"Oh?" Bea was taken back by Maddie's comment. She gulped a little and giggled, then nervously scratched her nape. Bea reluctantly accepted compliments from people. She did not see herself as an attractive person although many men and women tend to swoon over her. "I get that all the time."

"You are a lot more beautiful up close." Maddie pursed her lips upon saying that. She watched Bea brush her hair back and fidget her fingers. She found it cute and captivating. Bea is truly attractive. "You are one of the most talked about students."