Mi Reina - romance excerpt

As I reached the park, I started jogging the perimeter of the park, enjoying the cool breeze as it flowed on my face

Suddenly, the sight of a small boy running around in the playground caught my eye; he lost his balance and fell to the ground.

Without wasting another moment, I ran up to the boy and helped him up, squatting to his level. "Are you alright, little guy? Are you hurt anywhere?"

The boy nodded his head 'no' and slowly looked up at me. To my surprise, I saw Nicolas; Antonio's nephew.

"Xia!" He exclaimed, recognizing me. "I missed you!"

Listening to his words brought a warmth in my heart. This boy met me only a few days back and we barely spoke to each other but still he missed me?

A worried voice broke my train of thoughts, "Nico, are you alright?"

I looked up to see a devilishly handsome man. He was wearing a light blue dress shirt whose sleeves were rolled up to his elbows; the shirt neatly tucked into his navy blue chinos.

I didn't fail to notice the inked out tattoos which peeked through the forearms of the sleeves, giving him a dangerous but mysterious look.

Since the the shirt fit his figure perfectly, I could easily tell that he had a lean and muscular physique.

I took in his features; light stubble around his strong jaw that defined his jawline even more.

I looked up a little more and our eyes met. His eyes were a dark brown and looked as though they could pierce through you if you let your guard down near him.

I've never been intimidated by a single glance before but the way he stood, showed power. There's something intriguing about him; some sort of aura.

His curly dark oak hair was disheveled a little, making the long strands brush over his eyes just a little bit. Overall, this man looked like he had been sculpted by God himself but also like someone you would not want to mess with.

"Dadda, I'm okay. Look at who I found!" Nicolas said, pointing to me.

Dadda ? So this had to be Antonio's brother. Now that I looked at his features closely, he did look like an older version of Antonio.

Seeing that he was looking down at me, I stood up and only then did I realize how tall he was. He had to be about 6'2 or 6'3 compared to my 5'7 frame.

My cheeks heat up as I realize that I've been staring for too long and I think he knows it it too. I see his lips curve into a small smile, revealing his dimples.

He's too beautiful to be a human.

Since I knew that I had to speak now, I snapped myself out of my thoughts and introduced myself. "I'm Xia."

"I'm Ricardo." His baritone voice spoke and I sensed a slight accent but couldn't put my finger on which one it was. Maybe Mexican....I'm not too sure.

"So you're the one who makes his favorite cookies?" He asks.

"Who are you referring to ? Antonio or Nicolas ?" I asked, a playful smile on my lips.

He chuckled. "Both."

"You wanna play with me ?" Nicolas asked, looking up at me.

"Of course I'd love to pla-" I didn't get to complete the rest of my sentence because the park was filled with shrill sounds of screams and the pulsing of a machine gun.

*********

Read the rest of Mi Reina on Wattpad (over three million reads and counting!) by Riona_writes2455.

The author also just announced her next project coming this week!: