The Hunter in Me - Paranormal excerpt

To read the rest, add The Hunter in Me by JessEubanks 
to your reading list.

He hit the ground hard, knocking the air from his lungs and the knife from his hand

He hit the ground hard, knocking the air from his lungs and the knife from his hand. The mimic was on top of him and as Owen struggled to push him off, Bash saw his claws. He thought he would be afraid, but his fear was overpowered by Owen's anger, there was no room for any other emotion.

Owen grabbed the mimic by the neck, stopping him from getting any closer as he reached with his other hand for his weapon. He took a breath and gagged at the overwhelming smell, "What the hell?"

The mimic laughed, as he held Owen down and tried to move them farther from the knife, "You should have checked the dumpster."

"Noted," Owen grunted, as his hand wrapped around the handle of his blade. He swung his arm around bringing it toward the mimic's heart but was stopped when the monster grabbed his wrist before the point could break his skin.

Owen moved his grip to the back of the mimic's neck to pull him closer to the knife's point, but he was strong and pushing the blade up to his chest wasn't easy.

The mimic kept him pressed to the ground with one hand digging his claws into his shoulder. He smiled as he used the other hand to try to turn the tip away from his chest, "I thought we killed all the hunters."

Anger flared in Owen, "You were wrong." His muscles tensed as he pulled the monster closer with one hand and shoved the knife into his heart with the other.

The mimic's eyes widened before his arms gave out and he collapsed on Owen. He quickly disintegrated, leaving nothing behind but bone, clothes, and dust.

Laying there panting, Owen smiled, "You OK up there, Bash?"

"Yeah, super. Could you maybe get up and get this guy's bits off me, before we find out if I can make myself puke from here."

Chuckling, he shook the dust and other remains off as he stood. Looking down at the pile that only a minute ago was trying to kill him, Owen sighed, "I should have brought a bag or something." Bending over he took the guy's pants and tied the bottoms of the legs closed.

"What are you doing?"

"Making a bone carrying bag out of his jeans. What does it look like?" He asked as he dropped the skull into the waist of the pants.

"Right, obviously," Bash mumbled as he watched the pant legs start to fill with bones.