Chapter 22: I Found This Song, It's About A Girl Named Emily?

Börja om från början

I text my mom as I'm walking to let her know where I'll be. As I'm walking down the same little sidewalk Reg and Alex brought me down, nerves start to build inside my core. I don't know what kind of reactions his parents will have, but I really want to help him. I think about turning around, but I reach the Patterson driveway.

I sigh and walk up to the front door. Right as I'm about to ring the doorbell, Luke appears, "Luke?"

"Y/N? What are you doing here?"

"Okay look, I just wanted to know more about you, you know just curious... so I came here last week, on your birthday."

"You were spying on me?"

"Yes and I knew it was wrong, but what I saw was the reason I came back to the band."

He looked down, "You don't have to be worried about me."

"I'm your girlfriend. That's my job. I wanted to let your mom know that your dream was worth chasing."

"I don't even know what I'd say to her, even if she could see me."

"Yes you do. You've already said it."

He rings the doorbell without taking his eyes off me. His dad comes to the door.

"Hello. Can I help you?"

"Hi. I'm Y/N. Um... I believe you had a son named Luke?"

"Yes, that's right. And you are again?"

"Y/N Y/L/N. Um... your son's band used to play in my best friend's garage? I... I came across this song that he wrote and figured you might be interested?"

"Um... well, yes. Uh, please... please come in. I'm... I'm Mitch."

"Pleasure to meet you."

I walk in and look at Luke, gesturing for him to come in, after he does I close the door.

"Can I get you something?"

"No I'm good, thank you," I walk over to a small table next to a couch with pictures on it. I see a picture of a toddler, "is this your son?"

Luke smiles at me. "Yes that's Luke. When he was two."

"Do you have any other children?"

"No, no. It was just Luke."

An older woman came into the living room. Up close, I could see in her eyes that she's lost so much. "Did I hear the doorbell?"

"Hi hon. This is Y/N. Her best friend lives in the house where Luke and the band rehearsed."

"Hello Y/N," she looked at me from head to toe, but not in a disgusted way, "you're beautiful. You're a girl Luke would have chased when he was alive."

I giggle. It really is ironic. I hear a soft chuckle behind me, "Thank you," I remembered why I came. I pulled the folded up piece of paper out of my pocket, "I found this song, it's about a girl named Emily?"

His mom put a hand on her heart as I handed the paper to her, "I'm Emily."

She opened it up and started reading. Luke starts softly singing the song.

After he finishes singing, his parents are crying and I feel the tears stinging my eyes.

"Thank you," his mom cried.

Mitch sniffles, "You have no idea... how much this means to us."

"I know he was only 17, when he..." Luke left, "he was one year older than I am now. But I wanted you to know that I believe he lived doing the one thing he was passionate about. Not many people find that, but Luke did."

Emily was sobbing now, "It was so nice to meet you."

"It was nice to meet you too," she took my hands and smiled at me. "If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to come back."

I smiled, "Thank you so much."

I walk out onto the porch and look around. He's gone. I walk home and I don't see my mom's car in the driveway. Luke is sitting on the floor in my kitchen, the same place and way he was last week.

"Hey," I said when I noticed him.

"Hey," he looked up.

"I'm sorry for overstepping."

"No, what you did was perfect... I just had to leave. That was-"

"No you don't have to say anything."

"Yeah, I do. I didn't have many regrets in my life except for running out on my parents. Especially my mom, so... thank you."

"It was the least I could do. You brought my best friends back to me."

He looked at me and took my hand. I just looked into his eyes.

I let go of his hand, "Oh my gosh, I almost forgot to tell you. Flynn said the video that Julie's dad made is trending on YouTube." He looked at me confused. "That's a good thing. That means people love our music. We'll definitely be getting calls from managers now."

"Oh that's go-" he was cut off. He got another jolt. He got thrown back against the wall. "They're getting worse."

"Okay, I don't care if you want to protect her feelings, we have to tell Julie!"

He's hunched over. He just looks up at me and nods.