7 | Just being nice

"You should have picked up when I called you last night, Felix

"You should have picked up when I called you last night, Felix." I set my phone at my nightstand while rubbing my eyes. I just woke up from a long study session in the night because I still had some classes I had to prepare for. If I want to make my dad proud, I need to make sure that I am on track with all my classes. "My battery was dead."

It was a lame excuse. I know that but I don't want to tell him I had to pull an all-night session to keep on track with classes. "You should know better than that. We have calls scheduled, Felix. I am way too busy to deal with your stupid actions." I lean my head against my headboard and already regret dealing with my father so early in the morning.

I knew that it was a mistake to not pick up his calls last night but I didn't want my day to turn bad. I had an amazing day with Kennedy and I just didn't want to ruin it. "I am sorry for disturbing your busy schedule. I didn't mean to do that as your son." I hear him mumbling something underneath his breath but I can't understand it. I don't even want to talk to him anymore because I just know that he will give me another lecture.

Another reason that I am a mistake in his life. "Don't give me that tone, Felix. You know how busy my life is and I don't want to deal with your stupid actions. You can mess up your life as much as you want as long as you don't affect my life." I am no longer listening to him while putting on my grey jogging and white shirt. I block out the lecture he is giving me like I usually do. "Are you even listening to me? Or am I talking to the wall again?"

"I am listening." I open my laptop and the first thing I see, is the list I made for Kennedy. All the things I have planned for her are on it and I just know that she will love all of them. "How are your classes going? Are you making any progress regarding your grades?" Those are the only things that he ever cared about. Am I doing good in school and are my grades good enough to graduate at the end of the year. He never once asks me how I am really doing.

"My grades are good since I attend all my classes. You don't need to worry about it." I take another look at the bucket list for Kennedy and I already have a smile plastered on my face. Lyra had been asking about what I did with her the other day she saw us together. I could only give her half of the truth since I don't want her to know that I have been feeling happier since spending time with Kennedy.

I don't want people to think that I am going to get soft now. I don't want to deal with them asking me all kinds of questions when I know how it will end. Kennedy will find someone that is better than me and that makes her more happy than I could ever do. "I will always worry about you. You are the only family that I have left, son. I know that I don't always show it but I am proud of everything that you have achieved even after all the stupid decisions you made. I am glad that you are mature enough now."

That is how my father gives me compliments, he always needs to find a way to bring me down. He could never just give me a good one because that is not in his blood. "I have to go dad but it was nice talking to you. And I promise that next time I will pick up the call." I don't give him the chance to answer since I already hang up. I don't want to spend another minute hoping that he would change. I don't want to deal with another disappointment in my life when it comes to the relationship between me and my father.