6 | Dance with me

Kennedy's light brown skin is glowing in the sun

Kennedy's light brown skin is glowing in the sun. She lays her head back at the blanket I brought for the picnic. She is covering her eyes with her hand while biting on a strawberry. "So what do you have planned for us? I am sure a simple picnic is not going to make me get loose." I keep my gaze at her while taking another strawberry in my mouth. Her dark brown eyes look up at me and I see a little bit of green in them too now.

She turns around so she is now laying on her stomach. Her legs are swinging in the air like she is doing some weird dance. "I actually wanted to give you some quiet before we go over to the other stuff I have planned." She doesn't buy my lie because she starts to slap my leg hard. "I know that you have something planned for today, Felix. I know that look of yours way too well."

I have no idea how she got to know me so well since I make sure no one does. I don't talk about my problems and when I do, it is only with Carson and Brandon since I trust them. It takes a lot of the other person before I can trust them fully. "Just tell me what you want me to do so I can enjoy the rest of the sun afterward." She crosses her legs over each other and stares at all the people surrounding us.

She is a people watcher, I can tell that. She keeps an eye on everybody when they are doing something, wanting to know what they will do next. "I want you to dance to the music that I will put on." She looks terrified at me and I know that she would be. Kennedy doesn't love having too much attention on her, I have seen her stand in the background more often than she should be. Always hiding behind her ex-best friend Leah that loved the attention.

"You want me to make a fool out of myself?" She gets up and I see some regret in her eyes. And I do the thing that I told myself I would never do, I get up with her. I intertwine our hands together and play the music from my phone. "You said that you don't dance?" She looks up at me and catches me staring at her again. I have been doing that way more lately without even knowing I am doing it. Constantly looking out for her at every place I go.

"I don't." She wraps her arms around my neck and starts to swing her hips at the music. I am no longer aware of all the people around her. All I can stare at is the big smile plastered on Kennedy's face. She looks so happy and free that it is worth my no dancing rule. I am the worst dancer with no rhythm but I guess that changed all with Kennedy around.

I forget about all my worries when she smiles at me. The fact that I have to call my dad later tonight because we have our weekly calls. They are always planned and not longer than twenty minutes since my dad can't spare me any more time than that. He has me planned between his meetings because that is how he sees me. As another one of his meetings that he has to go through during his day. And I make sure that I don't miss them because otherwise, I will get ten other calls from his assistance asking about a reschedule.

"That really is a shame." She is back on the blanket when the song stops. She takes another bite of a strawberry covered with chocolate. I had taken some snacks with me because I also wanted to show her that someone can treat her better than that Josh guy. It shouldn't be me but it is nice to see a smile on her face filled with chocolate all over it.