Chapter 33 : Just One Month

Words don't have the power to hurt you, unless the person who said them means a lot to you.

Hans' POV -

Sometimes I think my hands would do my signature even when I'd be dead. That's what happens when you sign thousands of papers and cheques everyday. A donation cheque for one the churches catches my eye as I move my pen over it to sign.

In every six months, a one hundred thousand dollar cheque is donated to this church for the orphan kids but I never went there by myself to see if the sum is really being used in children's welfare.

They're having a fundraising event today, and have invited me as well. I didn't think I would go but perhaps I should. Maybe this time I should handover this cheque by myself.

***

Sheltering my blue eyes with black shades, I stand proudly at the church's fundraiser event for orphan kids.

Holy Jesus Christ.

“ Mr. Anderson, we're honoured to have you here. ” Pastor John comes cross to shake hands with me. “ Sir, please this way. ”

He first gives me a tour of all of the arrangements they have made for kids then takes me towards the special guest's seat, in the grass area. “ Sir, the event is about to start. ”

I'm honestly satisfied with the arrangements they have made for the kids. Kids hold a special place in my heart. Those little innocent faces, no lies, no worries. Just like the cute little versions of Jesus Christ.

There's a different kind of peace in this noisy place.

The host makes an announcement for the first performance while I make a quick attempt to check my recent mails.

This world is as big and as small as you want to dream,
And the people here, are as mean as pretty they seem.

They are strange, and weird, and selfish, and their forever is limited,
How come the love that once overwhelmed them, they can no longer feel it?

They take decisions, then back off, then act like saints,
But consequences are more about who's to be punished than who's to be blamed.

I'm a little girl, still carrying the punishment of a sin I don't own,
Am I not little too young to learn I will have to stand for myself when everyone else is gone.

Heavens, if ever given a chance, I'd rather choose to be blamed than to carry this punishment,
Because every hurtful word hurts a little less than being called abandoned. ”

I think I recognise this face and the voice. What the heck is Noriana doing here? At a fundraising event for orphan kids? She hates kids, doesn't she?

Not bad, I knew she writes some stupid chick lit kind of books. But this poet version of her is definitely something new. There's a reason why I always say, Noriana 2.0 is full of surprises.

Her tongue stutters as her eyes meet mine. I sometimes really pity her. Poor she, everytime she tries to avoid me, our destiny makes us confront each other.

The glow on her face loses its shine however she properly finishes her poem. And walks off the stage.

Dear Lord, no. I didn't want to stress her out.