Part 41

A/N- I apologize for not updating for a bit! Life has been crazy busy. But here is another part. :) this story is coming to a close soon- check out my newest story, "Without You".

"Are you okay?"
The day after Katie's arrest, I sat in Ava's car with her. Though I had no appetite, she wanted to take me to go get coffee that morning.
"As okay as I can be." I gave Ava a small smile.
"Do you want to talk about it or not mention it at all?" Ava asked me.
"It just feels like my family has fallen apart. Believe me- I am beyond glad to have April home. I am so goddamn relieved. But I know nothing will ever be the same." I said.
"I am so sorry all of this is happening." Ava said, looking at me with her pretty hazel eyes.
"I'm so glad I have you." I said to her, holding her hand.
"I'm sorry...for ending things. I feel as though I was selfish for doing so." she looked down.
"You weren't. You had to do what was best for you mentally. I wasn't the only one suffering."
"Can we be back together? Officially? Josephine, I don't want to not be your girlfriend anymore." Ava said to me.
"That would make me really happy." I smiled at Ava, genuinely, and she kissed me.
We were waiting in the car for April. We were going to take her to an appointment at the hair salon to get her hair dyed back to its natural very dark color. She didn't feel like herself as a blonde- and she also said it now felt traumatizing to her.
It was surreal to see her walking out of my house. She walked out in a t-shirt and jean shorts. She looked beautiful- as usual. It was weird even seeing her in a t-shirt- usually in the summer she always wore some kind of revealing tank top. But now she had all of her scars that weren't properly healed. So she was covering up.
Ava made an appointment for April at the hair salon she went to.
"Are you ready to go back to black?" Ava asked April as she drove.
"Beyond ready. Blonde is not my color. Only certain people can rock it- like you." April said to Ava. "I'm sure Josie agrees."
"Of course I agree." I said. I felt a sense of calmness- being in the car with April and Ava on a summer morning.
"I'm really glad you two got together. Ava- Josie had a crush on you for the longest time." April said.
"Hey! Don't expose me like that." I laughed.
"I might've had a crush for a little while too." Ava winked at me.
April didn't know it- but I made plans for her to see Ryan after she got her hair done. I had contacted him and told him she was back- not what happened- that was her story to tell- but he was ecstatic. And I could tell he didn't want to believe me as to not be let down. But I asked April if she wanted to get lunch at Blue Leaf- one of her favorite Mediterranean restaurants after she got her hair done. She agreed, and Ryan said he would meet us there after we started eating. I didn't want it to be too overwhelming for April- but I thought it would be a nice gesture.
Ava and I sat at the salon while April got her hair done. April seemed to always want to be with someone, which was understandable.
"You know, I'm thinking of maybe going to the police academy." I said to Ava as we waited.
Ava looked at me, "Really?"
"Yeah. I've been considering it. Any thoughts?"
"I think you'd make an amazing cop. Or detective after all of this." Ava smiled at me.
April looked gorgeous with her hair freshly dyed dark. The stylist blew it out straight and curled the ends, and she looked confident. Happy.
Ava then drove us to Blue Leaf. I wanted to keep this day light and fun for April- not discuss everything that happened. And I could tell she appreciated it. We got to the restaurant at 2- and Ryan said he would come at 2:30.
I saw him walk in first- this time not in his Paramedic uniform. He started to walk toward our table.
I saw April look, and then do a double take. And then in true April fashion- she got up, right in the middle of the restaurant, and ran toward Ryan. She jumped up in his arms and they embraced.
I felt myself get emotional watching the two of them. I could tell just by that embrace how much the two of them meant to each other. She was never like this with Kenny.
"How did you know I was going to be here?" April looked at him when he put her down. Everyone in the restaurant was staring at them, wondering what was going on.
"A little birdie named Josephine might've told me." he said, looking down at April. He was quite a bit taller than her- and I could see from a distance he had been crying.
April turned and looked at me gratefully.
Ryan came and sat down with us.
"Don't worry. I'm not going to crash your lunch for long." he said, "April- would you like to come over later?"
"Is that even a fucking question?" she said, "We have a lot of catching up to do." she winked at him. Then her face turned more serious, "And I have a lot to tell you."
I kept thinking about how now this was going to be permanently part of April's story. What happened to her. What Katie did. And I hated her for it.
April knew she wanted to see Kenny and Candace. And I had no idea how that was going to go. She had told our mom to invite them over. And we were informed after we left the restaurant, Kenny and Candace would be coming over.
"Are you going to beat Candace's ass?" I joked to April as we pulled up to our house.
"No. I want to. But I have no reason to- I have Ryan." April said, "But don't worry- they will get a piece of my mind."
It was awkward- seeing Kenny and Candace standing there. They looked guilty. And ashamed. They didn't even hug April- but then again- why would she want them to?
"Let's go into the kitchen and talk." April said to them, and they followed in suit.
They were in there for a long time. I assumed April was telling them what happened to her. And at one point I did hear her raising her voice. Saying something about betrayal.
Finally, they walked out of the kitchen. And Candace did give April a small hug- and her and Kenny left. And I wondered if I would ever see them again.
I looked at April, "How did that go?"
"It was weird. It felt like I was talking to two strangers. Kenny hardly said a word to me. I'm better off without them. Though I hate to admit- I'll miss Candace and her friendship." April said, "But I have more important things to think about."
"What's on your mind right now?"
"Preparing for my court case against Katie. I think we both know she is going to plead not guilty." April sighed.
"Wouldn't surprise me." I said.
"It all still doesn't feel real." April said, and I could see her starting to get emotional.
"I know. I know it doesn't." I said, and walked up and hugged my sister.
She had always been the strong one for me all of these years growing up. But now I knew she needed me to be the strong one for her. And I was going to.