Part 40

July 1st. That was the day April was going to be coming home.
It was extremely odd having two officers standing in my living room. Unsettling, even. Amira and Officer Timo, who was the lead officer on April's case stood in my living room.
My dad had contacted Officer Timo and told him everything. About how I facilitated them seeing April. About the accusations against Katie. I went to the police station as well and gave my statement. Amira looked proud of me as I told them how I essentially found April.
"This is why you should become a cop." Amira said, "I think you're born for this."
Everyone was at my house except April and Katie. My parents, my older brother Scott, Kylie, and Ava were there. I needed her there with me. We still weren't 100% sure about what we were. But she was the closest person to me. And I needed her. I knew after April was officially home we would talk everything through.
My mom told Candace about April. Not exactly what happened to her- we were keeping that for family only- but that she was coming back. My mom told me that as she told Candace, she went completely pale. And didn't even seem all that happy. It was because she knew- she was now living with April's ex boyfriend. And she was going to have to face her.
I decided to tell Ryan everything after April was officially home. I knew April was beyond excited to see him.
Katie was gone for the weekend. She went to go visit Connor at his house. A whole lot of me felt bad for Connor. He had no idea who is girlfriend was. And that after this weekend, he was most likely not going to see her again for an extremely long time.
Gabi was going to bring April home. I knew my parents wanted to thank her personally for her help in getting April home.
I was extremely nervous. April was going to be sitting there in the living room with us when Katie would walk in after her weekend spent with Connor. She would be surrounded by family. There would be officers in the room, and she would be safe. There was no way something was going to happen to her. I knew that if Katie tried anything at all as well, I would legitimately hurt her. I would be arrested for a second time.
When April walked into the house she immediately started crying.
"I'm home." she said. And we all ran over and hugged her. It was the closest I have felt to my family probably...ever.
"Oh my god. You're home." Kylie said, in tears. This was the most emotion I had seen her show in almost a year.
Telling her about Katie was extremely hard. My parents were the one to do it- for her and Scott. Kylie was extremely shaken up. And Scott oddly- seemed to know. Right when my mom said someone tried to kill her, he immediately seemed to know it was Katie. That was his very first guess. My mom asked him how he knew. And his response was, "I've always known something was off."
I tried to think back as to if I thought something was off with my sister. The one thing I could only think of was that she never seemed to show much emotion. Even if she was upset about something- you couldn't really read her. It was crazy to me to think this was my sister. And she was capable of something so awful. But I had to accept this was reality. And now my best friend- April was coming home.
The year of absolute pure hell was over- almost. It was actually far from over, due to the fact that now we would be going through a whole court case presumably with Katie.
April sat on the couch with Scott, Ava, and I as my parents spoke to Gabi outside. I could from the window see my dad pulling out his checkbook, Gabi shaking her head, but my dad anyway. Then both of my parents have her a hug. Gabi was essentially the reason they got their daughter back.
But they were going to lose another. And I was going to lose my sister. But I had already lost her. The second she did what she did to April- I lost her.
Katie was going to be home any moment. She had told my parents she would be home at around 6 PM. It was a Sunday. I thought for a moment in my head about how she had no idea what was coming her way. And for a split second, I felt upset. Really upset. To the point where I could feel tears coming. But I held them back. And also Ava put her hand on mine.
April had her head in her hands as we heard Katie pull up, blasting her music.
"I'm scared." she said, as we heard Katie's car door shut.
"You have nothing to be scared of, April. Nothing is going to happen to you." Officer Timo said. He was standing by the door, and Amira was standing behind the couch where April was sitting.
I closed my eyes and held my breath and I heard the door open. My parents were sitting on the couch opposite of me and my siblings. I saw my mom visibly shaking, closing her eyes.
April was sat between Scott and I. Ava was on the end next to me, and Kylie was next to Scott. I was holding April's hand.
And it all happened extremely fast. The door opened, and immediately I heard Katie scream, "What the fuck."
It was a scream like I had never heard in my life from her. It was filled with absolute rage. I felt Ava clutch my hand as well.
And then Katie tried to run and lunge at April. And in that moment, I saw her pull a knife out of her pocket. Almost like she was prepared for when she would possibly see April again.
My parents weren't looking. I knew they probably couldn't bare to.
The knife fell to the hardwood floor as Officer Timo grabbed Katie, and I saw Amira run toward where Katie and Officer Timo were.
Officer Timo was trying to handcuff Katie as she was screaming expletives at the officers.
"We're going to need backup." I heard Amira say into her walkie.
"Fuck you April, you motherfucking slut!" Katie screamed out. It was like she was a wild animal. I couldn't believe this was my usually calm, collected sister. It was whole different person. But that is when I realized- this was who she had always been.
I closed my eyes. I couldn't bear to watch the rest of it. Ava was holding my hand, and April was holding mine as well. I could feel it shaking, and I could hear her breathing heavily.
I could then hear another cop car in the distance, and then it get closer and closer. More officers barged into my house, and I heard once of them read Katie's rights to her as she kept on screaming insults at April.
Then there was silence. I could hear Kylie quietly crying. But Katie was gone. And I hoped she was gone for good.

A/N: thank you so much for reading. Once again, my new story, "Without You", a spin off of "What We Could Never Be" is out now!