Part 1

A/N- Sorry there isn't the proper spacing for comments in this story!! It is an older one that I wrote, when I wasn't too familiar with Wattpad yet. Thank you for reading ❤️

Also, if you want to see more of the main character in another story- check out my new story too, "The Devil on Her Shoulder". ☺️

April,
I can't believe it's been two months since you went missing to the day. I never imagined the night we couldn't get a hold of you that you would now still not be responding two months later. If there is a sign you're out here somewhere, please let us know.
-Josie
I put down my journal and pen on my bed. I knew writing in the journal wasn't going to bring my sister back, but it somehow made me feel closer to her.
I then felt my phone vibrate, and my heart skipped a beat when I saw who was calling. Ava Montgomery. I picked up the phone.
"I'm on my way to come get you- I'll see you in a few minutes." Ava's sweet, soft voice came over the phone.
"I'll see you soon." I said back.
"Did you get any sleep last night?" she asked me.
"About three hours. From five to eight AM."
"At least that's better than nothing. I'll see you very soon." Ava said, and then we hung up.
It was Saturday morning at 10- and Ava was picking me up for our weekly coffee dates. We did it twice a week, on Tuesday morning and Saturday morning. It was her way of forcing me up and out of the house, which is one thing I hardly felt like doing.
I got up off my bed and looked at myself in the mirror. Since April had gone missing, I started to appreciate how much I looked like her. We honestly looked like twins- with our olive toned skin, long black hair, and ocean blue eyes. I even was dressed like her today- in skinny dark wash jeans, a black tank top, and faux leather jacket. I still wasn't sure if it was odd that I had been dressing more like her since she went missing, but it somehow made me feel closer to her.
I walked downstairs and saw my youngest sister was was 18, Kylie, sitting in the living room watching some kind of makeup video on her MacBook. Her auburn hair was up in a messy bun and she was still in her pajamas.
"Going out with Ava?" she asked, not even looking at me.
"Yep. I'll see you soon." I said, as Ava texted me that she was out front.
Kylie turned around, her green eyes filled with worry. I knew since April went missing she was always concerned I would as well.
"What time do you think you'll be home?" she asked.
"Probably in about an hour. I'll text you when I'm coming home." I said, trying to ease my paranoid sisters mind.
"Okay." she nodded, and turned back to her video.
I walked out of my house and saw Ava's red Jeep at the bottom of my long, winding driveway that was outside of my large, red brick single home.
I approached her car, opened the door, and slid into the passenger side. I looked over at my best friend of 6 years who was pretty as ever in a blush pink hoodie, ripped boyfriend jeans, and black Vans. I noticed she had put on rock music for me, as always. She switched off her favorite pop dance music just to make me happy. Ava was just about the only light in my dark life at the moment.
"Hey." she gave me a sweet smile. Her shoulder length butter blonde hair was lightly curled at the ends and she had light makeup on her porcelain skin and around her hazel eyes, "You ready for some coffee?"
"I could use a latte to wake me up." I said, settling into her car as she drove off to Sweet Roastery, which was on Main Street about 10 minutes away from my house. There is a Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts too, but we love the small business atmosphere of Sweet Roastery. Not to mention their amazing croissants.
Every Saturday Ava pays for coffee, and I usually pay on Tuesday. Even though more than half the Tuesday's she has paid. I haven't been working at all since April left- and I didn't want to always have to ask my parents for money.
We each got a latte and a croissant and sat down at a table. The coffee shop smelled like espresso and was like a warm hug compared to the October breeze outside.
Ava took a sip of her almond milk latte and said, "I know it's the last thing you want to do. But I also am going to force you out and make you do it. My friend down at school is hosting a big Halloween party. I'd love for you to go with me."
Ava went to a school in the city, about a half hour away. She had always lived there until this year. She said it was because she was homesick, but I had a feeling it was because of me. Not a coincidence she decided she wanted to commute a week after April went missing.
I sighed, "You're right. I don't want to go. But I will go, for you." I said, tearing off a piece of my croissant.
Maybe April is down in Philly and I will see her.
I couldn't help that thought from entering my head in that fleeting moment.
"I'm dressing up as an angel. I think you'll like it." Ava said, and glimmer of playfulness in her eyes. I wondered if she knew what it did to me when she looked at me like how she was. And picturing her in an angel costume- help me.
"I'm sure I will." I gave her a small smile. I was out of the closet- I had been since was 16. But Ava was straight. Supposedly. And she was my best friend- so I always felt wrong for thinking of her in the way I did. But I accepted that nothing would happen with us.
"Great, we will pick you out a costume this coming week." she said, and then her tone got slightly more serious. "Any other leads at all since I saw you earlier this week?"
I shook my head, "No. I go back and forth with thinking the cops are working their asses off on this or if they are just sitting on their asses."
"I think it's the first option. Especially since you have Amira working on the case." Ava said. Always looking on the bright side.
"It feels like she's the only one that wants to help, even if she does seem extremely busy." I said, speaking of my ex-girlfriend, who was on the police squad.
"Well you know any way I can help I will, always." Ava said to me. She then put her hand on mine and I got chills down my body.
Fuck. Why did I feel like this?
We stayed for a bit more and drank our coffee and ate our pastries. Ava didn't mind when I wanted to sit in silence, in comfort. She also didn't care when I wanted to go home because I was simply so tired, even though I wouldn't be able to fall asleep.
She drove up to my house about 45 minutes since she had picked me up.
I saw a familiar black Toyota on my driveway. Ugh. Candace Hughes.
"Fucking Candace is here." I grumbled, "Probably chatting it up with my mom."
"Try to be nice. And call me if you need me." Ava said to me.
She always was reminding me to be nice. Especially to Candace.
But I couldn't. Especially since I think she had something to do with my sisters disappearance.