Part 2

Candace Hanson is April's best friend. She is your pure girl next door, with blonde hair and blue eyes and a heart of gold. Supposedly. She is the same age as April, 24, and works as a first grade teacher. She has been best friends with my sister since middle school, and they even went to college together. She's always been beyond sweet- but this sweetness was now getting to me since April went missing.
She always seemed to be around my mom, at my house. How I would best describe what she acts like is like she is the only one that misses April like crazy. She will sit in my kitchen and cry. And she is always talking about what more can do to help find her- as if we aren't trying.
24 hours after no one was able to get a hold of April, back in August, we contacted the police. April was living in an apartment with Candace and one other girl who they barely knew named Gabrielle. They lived two towns over. April had just graduated college from West Chester University with her degree in Communications and she was trying to find a job while working as a bartender. April knew how to do two things very well- hold a conversation and flirt. So bartending was perfect for her in the meantime.
The police have been working on the case, but there's only so much they can do. They have been trying to track down where April is. Everyone seems to know she is missing considering it has been on the news. But she also is over 18. And the police have to consider she may have just ran away and started a new life. Which is something we all have to consider, as unfathomable as it is.
When I walked into my house I could hear Candace's sickly sweet voice talking to my mom. And I could hear my mom talking back in a low tone. I decided to walk right into the kitchen. I have a feeling Candace knows I'm not a big fan of her, but I do not care.
When I walked past the living room, which Kylie was still in, and the dining room to go into the kitchen I saw my mom standing at the counter and Candace was perched up on a bar stool, her back to me. She had on a cream colored sweater, dark wash jeans, and brown knee high boots.
"Hi, honey." my mom said, barely looking up at me. She had a mug that I could see steam off of in front of her. She looked tired, as always. I don't look like my mom very much- I only have her bright blue eyes. But otherwise she looks like my sister, Kylie, with her light skin and auburn hair.
My mom- Dr. Dana Fiori, was always one of those moms that seemed to be able to do it all. Be a mother of five and a rock star Oncologist at a hospital down in Philadelphia. She was even the lead Oncologist before April went missing, and she stepped down and now just works Monday-Friday, from 8-4. Sure, her patients adore her and she can pose for pictures with me, my three sisters, and brother lovingly. But behind those family portraits was a mom that never wanted to be bothered with any issues. Her work was more important. Keeping up with appearances was more important. It was always my dad, Joe, that seemed to want to be more involved in my life as well as my siblings. But since April went missing, he has buried himself in his work as a CPA and finance advisor.
"Hi, Josephine." Candace turned and gave me a smile. Dazzling, of course.
"Were you out with Ava?" my mom asked me.
"Yep. Every Saturday morning, as usual." I said, walking behind the counter, opening the fridge, and gazing at nothing in particular.
"Ava isn't your girlfriend, right?" Candace asked me.
I wish.
"Nope, just best friends." I said, turning around and standing next to my mom. I looked down at our spotless granite countertop. It seemed cold and unwelcoming.
"I was just telling your mom that I am considering going to the police department on Monday. Talking to them with Kenny." Candace said.
Kenny Adams. April's boyfriend. Ex-boyfriend. Who knows since she went missing.
"And what would you talk to them about?" I asked.
"We just want more updates on April's case." my mom said.
"They have been giving us updates as they find out. I don't think we should bother them too much." I said.
"We aren't bothering them. They should be doing more as it is." Candace insisted, "I know one of your friends has been helping out on April's case, so it is of no offense to her."
"None taken." I said.
"I'm going on Monday. You don't have to if you don't want to, Josephine." my mom said.
"I'll think about it." I said, knowing there was no way in hell I was going. But I knew who I was going to call when I went back up to my room. "I'm going to head upstairs. See you guys later."
"See you." Candace gave me a small wave.
I walked out of the kitchen and Candace and my mom started talking in low voice. I was about to head up the steps when Kylie walked up to me. She was my little sister by two years, but a few inches taller than me.
"Candace acts like she is the only one that wants to find April." Kylie said softly to me.
"Tell me something I don't know." I said, and then started up the steps up to my room.
When I closed the door, I whipped out my phone and called Amira Rice. Police officer. My ex-girlfriend.
"Hey, is everything okay?" she picked up on the second ring.
"As okay as it can be. I just wanted to warn you- Candace, Kenny, and my mom are coming down to the station on Monday."
I heard Amira sigh on the other end. "I know how hard this is for you all. I can't even imagine. But I hope you at least know we are doing the best we can with not too much information."
"You don't have to tell me." I said, "I don't think it is a good idea."
"Officer Timo, the lead one on the case, will just tell them exactly what I told you." Amira said. "But thank you for the heads up."
"Of course. Anytime." I said.
"And are you doing okay, Josephine?" Amira asked me.
"Hanging in there." I said, "I'll talk to you later."
"Have a good day." Amira said, and we ended the call.
It was odd- having Amira be an officer on April's case. I dated Amira for a year- when I was a junior in high school and she was a senior. We had one of those puppy love high school relationships. I was really proud of her for becoming a cop, like she always wanted. I couldn't help but think she looked damn good in the uniform when I would see her. But what we had was long over. It had been for three years.
Right after I hung up the phone I heard loud voices coming from downstairs. And then I could hear a voice that I hadn't for a couple of weeks- my sister, Katie.
Katherine, but don't you dare call her that- Katie was 23 and in her last year of college. She also goes to West Chester University, her and April were even roommates their last two years there. I wasn't expecting her to be home this weekend.
I went downstairs to go say hi. Katie and I were close- not like April and I were, but she was my friend as well as my sister. When I got downstairs I heard her in the kitchen talking to my mom and Candace. They sounded a lot more animated.
"Hey, I wasn't expecting you to be home." I said, walking in the kitchen again.
"Decided to come back. Was feeling a bit homesick." Katie said, walking over to me. She embraced me in a hug. As always, she smelled like vanilla from her perfume.
If you told anyone Katie and I were sisters, they probably wouldn't believe you. Katie has my moms features- the light skin and button nose, but she has my dads green eyes. She also has blonde hair- very blonde, platinum hair. Her hair is naturally a darker blonde. She also is shorter, just over five foot and has always been on the curvier, slightly overweight side- which she has always been insecure about. Katie is one of those people that is very easy to talk to. She is non judge mental, easy going. She is in school for psychology, to be a children's therapist.
I stayed in the kitchen for a bit and chatted to Katie, and put up with Candace and my mom. After a little while I wanted to just be by myself again. I was laying down on my bed when I felt my phone vibrate. It was a text from Ava- a picture message.
My eyes widened when I saw the message. It was her, in her angel costume. She had taken the picture in front of a full length mirror. Her petite frame looked breath taking in the sleeveless, short white sparkly dress and white fishnets. She had on a headband with a halo. The message under the picture read:
Do you like it?
Yes, I fucking love it.
I don't think she knew what she did to me when she sent me that photo. Or maybe she did. But who knows. All I knew was that I started thinking of all the things I'd like to do to Ava if I got her out of that costume. And I never knew if it was right or wrong to think of my best friend in this way, but before I knew it, I had my mini vibrator in my hand. I covered the small buzz of it with my bed sheets and came to the thought of her.
Maybe one day that would be a reality. You never know your luck.