Part 4

For the first time since April went missing I felt somewhat alive. I felt guilt for it- my sister was missing. What was I feeling this joy for?
But I couldn't help it. My best friend and I, that I had been crushing on forever, kissed. And after we kissed we carried on with conversation. But there was tension there. Shared looks. I had a feeling something was going to come of it.
But did Ava even like girls? She always seemed to be only into guys. She had a boyfriend our first year of college, Darren. But that lasted about 6 months. She lost her virginity senior year of high school to Tommy Meyers, a football player. Other than that she hadn't really gotten with anyone else that I knew of. And as best friends, we told each other about that. She never really mentioned any guys she liked at all? Was that a sign that I missed that she liked girls? My mind was bugging out.
Thankfully on Wednesday we had plans to find me a Halloween costume. I was going to meet her after she had class at the Spirit of Halloween store. Give her a break from having to pick me up.
After doing school work, exhausted, I got in my Toyota RAV4 and drove over to the store. Ava was already there. She got out of her Jeep- looking nice in a cream colored leather jacket and jeans with a light pink top.
"You look pretty." I said to her.
"Thanks." she gave me a small smile. I could've sworn I saw her blush.
We shopped around and I could still feel that tension in the air. When I saw a devil costume I felt a pang in my chest. That was often what April went as on Halloween- a devil. A pretty slutty looking one at that.
"How about a dark angel?" Ava suggested, running her fingers gently over a dark angel costume. "We can match. Kind of."
"I actually like that idea. And it fits both of our vibes." I said.
So it was settled. I was going as the dark angel- with a black halo and all and she would be the sweet innocent angel that she was. I found myself being excited for the party she was taking me down to. And I never got excited about pretty much anything anymore.
The night of the party she was going to pick me up at 8 and we were going to drive down to the city. No way were we taking a train. That week I had basically been avoiding my family- mother especially. And when I heard Candace in my house, I went straight for my room.
I paired the right, black dress with some black boots, cranberry red lips, and dark eyeshadow. I thought I looked good. And once again, I hadn't felt this way in a while.
I went down the steps when Ava texted me she was out front. I couldn't wait to see her in her costume. Especially after the photo she had sent. I knew in person would be even better.
My mom was walking out of the kitchen when I was walking the door. She did a double take when she saw me.
"Oh, Josephine...I wasn't expecting you there." she said.
"I'm just leaving. Ava is here."
"Where are you going?"
"To a Halloween party." I said. Since when was she concerned?
My mom nodded, "Please be careful."
"I will be. Don't worry." I said.
"You look like April. She would like that costume. As a mother I'm not a big fan. But she would love it." my mom looked at me.
I felt that pit in my stomach. "Thanks...I think."
"Have fun. Just...please be careful" my mom said and I headed out the door.
Ava looked just as good as I thought she would. Even better actually. She did a pretty rose gold makeup look and the dress outlined every curve she had. She had straightened her hair and it looked shiny and very blonde. God...she was gorgeous.
"You look great." she said as she started driving.
"Likewise." I said, glancing at her. She smiled at me. I had a feeling something was going to happen again tonight. Just like I had the night before.
The party was at a brownstone down in Philly. Not really the best area, but we would make do. Ava made arrangements for us to stay with her friend down in the city, Tony. He was a fellow gay like me- and maybe Ava?
I'm not a big drinker. But there were drinks flowing at this party and I couldn't help but have some punch and a beer. I kept looking to see if maybe April could be around. Ridiculous, I know. But I always have this hope anytime I'm at a new place that I'll see her.
Rap music was playing loudly. The party mostly took place in the living room and people were dancing. I stuck by Ava the whole time, she was drinking as well. And I was mesmerized as I watched her move on the dance floor. She can move- and my mind kept wandering to how she could move in the bedroom.
After a few drinks I had to pee. I went up to the host of the party, Ava's friend, Yvonne.
"Upstairs, dark angel." she smiled at me. "Second door on the right."
"Thanks." I grinned at her, and went upstairs. I saw Ava looking at me as I walked up the steps.
I could hear old Twista blasting from downstairs as I peed. I realized besides mine and Ava's hangouts this was the first time I had truly been out since April's disappearance. It felt weird. But it did feel good.
I opened up the door to the bathroom after I finished and to my surprise, Ava was standing right there.
"Oh...hey." I said, "Guess you have to pee also?"
"No." she said, and before I knew it, she was coming toward me. She went up on her tip-toes and she gave me a kiss. It was sweet once again. Light.
And I was taken aback, but not enough to kiss her back with more force. The kisses grew deeper and more intense. I ran my hand over her side. I couldn't quite believe this was happening.
I backed up Ava to the wall and kissed her more intensely. It was clear who was in control in the situation- me. If she would let me, I wanted more. Needed more. I was craving her. Wanted to taste her. Feel her.
"Do you think Yvonne is going to go into her bedroom?" I said into Ava's ear.
"I don't care if she does." Ava said back, breathless. I kissed her neck lightly.
"Lead the way." I said, and Ava took my hand. I admired her as we walked to the dark bedroom.
Once again when we were in the dark room I had Ava up against the wall. I was debating on whether to give her a tease or just say fuck it and go all the way. I decided on the first option.
I put my hand on her left thigh and glided my fingers. Her breath drew sharp.
"Go higher." she said, gripping her nails into my back.
"As you wish." I said, and glided my hand up higher. I could feel her lace panties. In my head I bet they were a shade of pink. "Can I touch you?" I asked her.
She nodded in return. "Please."
I moved the front of her underwear to the side and started moving my fingers exactly where I needed to. I couldn't believe I was actually touching her. It was absolutely crazy to me. But she was enjoying it. I could feel her getting more and more wet for me. And it was turning me on.
"I'm-I'm so close." Ava gasped a few moments later. She was still digging her nails into my back.
"Good." I said, and kissed her neck.
A few moments later I felt her clench up. "Fuck!" she moaned. And it was beyond hot.
I pulled my fingers out and stuck one in my mouth. Ava laughed as she pulled away from me. "You lick your fingers after?" she asked.
"Always." I laughed too. I could hear music bumping from downstairs.
Ava adjusted herself and smiled at me. "You know what you're doing."
"As opposed to...?"
"Shut up." Ava hit me playfully. She then adjusted herself. "Let's go back down."
I nodded. Feeling elated in that moment. But every time I felt elated, even for a moment, reality always came back to hit me.
April was missing. And she might not be coming back.