Whispering Leaves

Summary: Spooky nightmare.

Pitch blackness shrouded the sky, creating a near Void-like absence above where neither the moon nor stars shined

A dense oak forest encompassed the land below. The shades cast by its thick canopy consumed everything that laid beneath, leaving the area engulfed in an all-consuming darkness.

Along the undergrowth were thick, barbed vines that twisted and weaved around the woods to form a guided path. At the beginning of the natural trail stood a stocky skeleton. He had a grey-stained, raggedy blue hoodie pulled over his skull and equally unkempt shorts and sneakers.

Tremors ran through his body as his near-nonexistent eyelights roamed the shadows distrustingly.

The logical part of the monster's mind insisted none of his surroundings were real, and yet fear still nipped at the erratically pounding soul housed within his ribcage. And, as strange as it seemed, he got a distinct feeling that was not where his soul was meant to be- which only served to make his unease grow stronger.

However, seeing little else to do, the skeleton carefully began to inch his way down the path; Keeping his eyelights vigilant, all the while.

He walked the grassy dirt road for what felt like hours but couldn't have been more than a few minutes. During his journey, screechy demon-esque cries echoed beyond the shadows and vines that confined him to the forest's trail. That was until they suddenly fell silent, and the air stirred through the trees, carrying with it the subtle murmurs of whispering.

Against better judgment, the skeleton followed the sound.

And his decision was rewarded, for a large tree soon came into view.

Unlike the others in the surrounding forest, this one looked diseased. Dark teal, almost black ooze dripped down its trunk, branches, and leaves; Each element seemed dry and shriveled, giving it a nigh withered appearance, and similarly colored, heart-shaped fruit hung from the slimy branches.

The faint hint of whispering grew ever stronger as he drew closer.

The words sounded nonsensical at best, merely like murmurs meant to scare away passing travelers- at least, that's what the skeleton hoped the eldritch noises were. Based on sound and tone, they could just as easily be an ancient curse. Something only to be spoken by the monsters of old.

Though, a nagging thought in the back of his mind screamed that he should hold no fear, that the voice was a familiar one. One he should know. One that belonged to a monster whose name sat on the tip of his nonexistent tongue but remained annoyingly out of reach.

Cautiously, the skeleton approached the twisted plantlife, coming to a halt right beneath its oozing branches, and listened.

"Killer..." The leaves shook and whispered, "it's your turn to do the laundry."

"No!" Killer shrieked, jolting out of bed.

In a flash, he was out for his room and throwing open the dining room doors, ignoring the startled looks from his fellow housemates.

His invisible eyelights scanned around the room, finally landing on the negativity-laden skeleton sat at the head of the table. He then rushed toward his father-like figure and haphazardly pushed past his nearest housemate.

"Dude, watch it! Precious cargo over here." Cross snapped, clutching a plate of chocolate chip pancakes.

Killer ignored him and threw himself into the Guardian of Negativity's lap, clutching at the fabric of the other's dark ooze-stained shirt.

"Please don't turn into a tree and whisper chores in my ears!" He begged.

Nightmare raised a brow before setting down his cup of coffee. "I- I'm not even sure where to begin explaining everything wrong with that sentence."