28

BABY

My life has devolved into a tangle of unfortunate events

My life has devolved into a tangle of unfortunate events. The point of threatening the people I care about has no end. Now I am set to have a union with the most ruthless man I have ever met. The same man who threatened me has now given me the option of choosing my freedom over the lives of those who care about me. I'm sick to my stomach that I am being forced to call this wicked person my husband. This "proposal," as he refers to it, is something I would never expect from him, given that he has already taken everything from me.

"Baby, I want you to agree to be my wife."

The sun had already gone down. Charles' assertion that I hadn't seen the whole area was suddenly illuminated by precisely constructed, brilliant, cool-toned led lights outlining the edges surprised me. I was totally disconnected from the discussion because all of my thoughts were focused on why he wants me to be legally bound to him. When he stood up from his seat, I was startled out of my trance.

"I have the boat ready for you right now. All you need to do is step right in there and you're free. I would assume that you've made your choice." Charles says, Air swiping a command and walked away, leaving me alone. I stood there, staring at his back to me till he no longer can be seen. He didn't wait for my response because he was confident that I would choose to stay with him.

I closed my eyes and clenched my fist. All of this would never stop if I fled towards the dock because he would always find a way to bring me back. I'm not going to fall for his ruses anymore. He wanted me to leave so he could harm the rest of my family. This caught me off guard. What does he expect from me? After everything he had done to me, he even wanted to chain me up. I suddenly felt contempt for him; I'm sick and tired of being used up and pushed over the edge.

Emotions are flowing right through me, because there's that stupid part of me that's trying to come out and convince me yet again, that I can hack my way into Carly's radar and sprint as quickly as I possibly can towards the dock with the possibility that the consequences can be swayed. This is the same damned voice that was responsible for my aunt's death. The fact that I am gambling and listening to this voice only to take another chance and lose in the end is no longer acceptable to me after all the odds are stacked against me.

My thoughts immediately returned to Carly's daughter. I don't even know her name. I found she was breathtakingly attractive. It was a pleasant change to hear her giggle. After a few seconds, I felt weak in the knees and collapsed to the floor, thinking about the life my niece can have. I am left with no choice but to resign to what Charles has subjected me to.

The realization that I had now handed my life over to Charles came at a point when I understood that he had owned me from the beginning and that he was fully aware of this. To recover my calm, I took several deep breaths at a time. After being stuck in the same misery for far too long, it is time to get out and do something about it.