20

This chapter is dedicated to everyone who has a loved one battling cancer and is fighting courageously!

BABY

"How are you planning to be an alcoholic when you don't even have a bottle opener?" Astor says,  mocking me from the back, looking at all the wine bottles I just bought while rummaging through the random things I put in the cart

"How are you planning to be an alcoholic when you don't even have a bottle opener?" Astor says, mocking me from the back, looking at all the wine bottles I just bought while rummaging through the random things I put in the cart. 

Astor notices how tense I've grown as I drive. He tried to lighten the mood by talking to me, mentioning all the favorite food I like buying.

I simply giggle at his pranks and recall how much easier things were when I was still under his supervision. I wish I could be that innocent young lady again. It fascinates me that he could well be the same guy despite such gruesome torture.

The drive had already been more than an hour, and I'm always on the lookout if there's any vehicle following us.

I finally dared to ask about aunt Madonna's condition expecting a not-so-favorable response. 

Astor was suddenly silent. It took him a good minute to answer as if he was still trying to come up with an excuse, but instead, he answered me back with a question.

"Tell me, How did you get a hold of the Nanogex?"

"I stole it." I say, I tighten my grip on the wheels as I couldn't talk about what I have gone through with Charles. The memories give me a knot in my stomach. 

There something about that question that triggered me and I try to focus on my driving as most of the stuff Astor says after the question, would pass my ears at this point.

I'm in and out of the stuff he says but I caught on his remark about how he remembered not having any scar as well after getting severely burned by Chalres. I was right they used Nanogex on Astor to keep him alive and to use him to keep me in line.

"So that's what it was, No wonder I didn't---." Astor blurted realizing what Nanogex is and he continues to mumble.

My heart starts raising again, knowing how cunning Charles is. He's got all of this figured out. Why is he doing all this? What does he really want from me?

"Charles put a chip on me"  When I suddenly screamed at Astor, Cutting off Astor in the middle of his stories. As I've put two on two together. There's no way he will let me slide that easy. That's why I didn't find any bug because the bug is inside me.

"Dont worry, calm down. I'll check you once we get to your aunt. We're almost there. I thought you might have it as well, but I'm putting all my faith in the bracelet to conceal everything for now."  Astor says, pointing where to drive next.

****

We abandoned the car in the middle of the highway, but not before Astor made a few jokes about how disappointed people who would find a car full of wine were going to be without the opener.