14.-Jealousy

"I got asked out today," Nel said casually to Charlotte as they sat in the noisy downtown cafe.
"By who?" Charlotte asked, amused, a playful grin on her face as she sipped her hot chocolate.
"By the president of the gardening club. The senior with long, curly hair," Nel responded, in the same casual tone.
Charlotte raised her eyebrows "What is with you and seniors?" she thought out loud "Isn't she the mayor's niece or something?"
Nel nodded. "Yeah, it's weird," Nel reflected upon the idea. "I would swear she was at my wedding." 
Charlotte shrugged, "I guess she was impressed with how you looked in your wedding dress," she said.
Nel nodded. "I guess," she said, doubtfully.
"So?" Charlotte urged, "What did you say?"
Nel shrugged indifferently, "What can I say? I'm married."
Charlotte nodded and squinted suspiciously. "And if you weren't?" she asked.
Nel considered for a moment, playing with the warm mug between her palms, enjoying the heat of its smooth surface. "She's pretty," Nel finally said.
"But?" Charlotte pushed, "That was not an answer."
"She talks too much," Nel decided. 
"Talks too much," Charlotte repeated.
"I can't keep up," Nel said, drinking her coffee, placidly.
"I guess you're right," Charlotte decided and took another sip. "What does Shun think about it?".
Nel shrugged. "What do you mean?" she asked, confused.
Charlotte gave her a half smile. "About pretty curly-haired chic's asking you out?"
"Why should he care?" Nel asked, and Charlotte sighed. Her friend could do her math homework.
"You're more of a cute, shy type I suppose. You know, the ones who need help carrying heavy things," Charlotte said.
Nel agreed. "Maybe from the cooking club. I carry the ingredients and she makes us lunch," she suggested.
Charlotte giggled, tickled by the idea. "Don't you think she would get jealous of the time you and I spend together?" she asked flirtatiously.
"Not if she is with us all the time," Nel added in a sassy tone.
"Always making me the third wheel" Charlotte sulked.
Nel smiled mischievously. "Better stay clear of women for now," she said, Charlotte nodded. "Bros before hoes."
They both laughed loudly.
Nel's phone vibrated checking it she told Charlotte she had to go and offered her a ride.
"No thanks," Charlotte said, "I want to stay a bit longer." So, they separated ways.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Once again Nel sat in the back seat of the car. A moody Shun had spent the morning running errands for Milo, who was still in town.
"Really?" Shun asked "Are we doing this still?" He pulled into the first deserted parking lot he found. 
"Where? -" Nel began and Shun got out of the car. When he saw she had no intentions of following him, he climbed into the back seat with her.
"What?" Nel asked, wide-eyed.
"Just you and me," Shun told her, taking her hands in his. "Let's talk. Is this about Milo?" he asked, an intense look on his face.
"What?" Nel repeated.
"It's just you and me," Shun echoed, unblinking, intense.
"What are you asking?" Nel said, confused feeling a bit irritated.
"Fuck Nel!" Shun growled, annoyed. "Are you acting like this because you don't want Milo to see how close we are?" he finally choked out, red in the face.
"No," Nel muttered in final understanding, she was touched by how innocent the Black Dog of the North could be in everyday life. They were fooling no one, especially Milo. "I'm acting like this because you were being a jerk."
"What?" Shun said, surprised.
"Yeah," Nel admitted. "I'm not messing around or playing games or whatever you think I'm trying to do.  You were acting like a jerk."
Shun let out a relieved little laugh. "Sorry," he muttered, ashamed.
Nel leaned forward resting her forehead on his chest. "What's wrong big guy?" she asked in a sweet tone. "I'm bad with people. Talk to me."
Shun wrapped his arms around her pulling her in tight. "Sorry," he said again, his big voice so small, vibrating in his chest.
Nel played with the buttons of his shirt. "Why did you dress up?" she asked, changing the subject.
Shun shrugged, closing his eyes, breathing in the sweet scent of Nel's perfume. "Bosses orders," he said.
Nel chuckled. "Dress shirt and pants?" she asked. He nodded. "It's hard to dress as sharp as Milo," Nel said, playing tenderly with her earlobe between his thumb and forefinger, Shun answered, "I can try," he kissed her on the forehead. "Will you stay at my place?" he asked.
Nel shook her head frowning "Not when Oli's here" in his mind Shun wondered "Oli or Milo?" but said nothing. They were so good.
Shun sighed saying, "I should take you back."
Nel tugged on his sleeve. "Five more minutes," she pleaded.
Shun smiled the warm smile he saved for her. "Make it ten," he said.