Chapter 22

The tracks that are obviously Azrael's head off in a new direction that I didn't go before. It heads to the left, away from the forest and actually toward the ocean. I can tell that it's Azrael's since I recognize the boot shape.

I'm still making a turn around to look back at the house to search for an answer why exactly Azrael got so incensed. It's true that Azrael is not on the best terms with his father. That's been established; multiple times.

Not knowing exactly what happened in the kitchen is problematic for me to draw a conclusion to the situation transpiring. What the problem was. I don't know. I can only find Azrael and ask him exactly what happened.

The day has turned past noon, and the sun has already started to tilt down and near the horizon. I've noticed that the sun in Alaska during winter appears to be out a short amount of time. So the snow that appeared slightly white in the matutinal hour now past that is all shifted with the landscape into golden evening tones. The shadows have also intensified in blue as have the mountains. None of the trees look calm instead intensely asleep, getting ready for deeper slumber as the lumber pillars rest deeper into the ground underneath the snow.

The entire landscape is distinct from the morning. It's not as radiant, but seems afraid. Afraid of the night and the cold that will approach in hours.

Following the tracks more, I start to see the ocean. It's bitter and cold, white waves above the upper part and the sea wind blowing the droplets of the surf around. I'd not want to be in those waters.

I'm thinking that, when I start to notice that Azrael's tracks head toward it. Panicking, I quicken my pace to confirm the hope that he did not enter the waters. His tracks run along the shoreline that I am close enough now to throw a stone into, but doesn't touch it, thankfully. It continues to run along, and it enters a small cluster of trees where the shoreline curves away from.

Entering the cluster of trees, the pine needles above are not at all calming as before, instead quite encroaching. Not to mention unbelievably quiet to the point where the world around seems to listen in on my thoughts.

Exiting the cluster of trees, I see Azrael. He's walked out onto a frozen pond covered in snow. I can tell it's a frozen body of water as there's an indent into the ground in the circular pond, and I immediately am shocked from his position on the pond.

"Azrael!" I shout, and Azrael who is sitting on the icy surface with his knees pulled to his chest turns and looks over.

Carefully, I put a foot down on the ice, and think it best not to, and shout, "Get off the ice!"

Azrael tilts his head once, and then slowly gets up. He slipped off his shoes and socks to walk onto the ice without slipping, and his cold bare feet move through the snow and over the ice.

I shiver as I see his bare feet move across the snow, and more of my body trembles from cold I don't feel when I realize that Azrael doesn't have a coat on. Only his sweater is on his back and it's clear that because he rushed out of the house he didn't get the chance to grab any article of clothing to keep him warm.

Just as Azrael gets into range of me, I reach and snatch him up from the ice which causes Azrael to yelp in shock. But really, he shouldn't have been on the ice to begin with. And maybe I didn't like him being in danger.

"You shouldn't have done that," I say as I carry Azrael a good distance away from the ice, "walking out onto a frozen pond is dangerous."

"It was completely frozen," says Azrael as an excuse.

"And you took off your boots," I say as I point to the boots Azrael holds in his hands instead of on having on his feet, "in the middle of winter."

"The ice was slippery," says Azrael, though he doesn't say it with any real confidence, probably aware that he knew what he did wasn't quite smart.

Power Microcosmजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें