Despite Molly's clear warning and Sirius' worry, you went to approach your professor, who was no longer a teacher to you since you left Hogwarts a few years ago. You always believed in chasing after what you wanted, hence you were not letting the man you loved slip from your fingers.

"What is it, Y/N?"

Severus raised his eyebrows, wondering why would you stop him from leaving after the meeting ended that night. You fiddled with your fingers nervously, but you knew you wanted to do it.

You had spent your days trying to figure out if you really loved Severus, and the answer would always be the same. Yes, you were in love with him.

"If you are not busy tomorrow, can we get a lunch together? I mean, if you don't have a lot of time, can we at least get some coffee?"

Severus eyed you carefully, and he saw how genuine you were. Giving you a small smile, he agreed. It was not a date at all, you just wanted to spend your time with him, but life was unexpected and you found yourself being over the moon when he asked you out on a date on the next day.

"We need the best people for this mission."

You were pulled back from your trance as his deep voice got into your ears, bringing you back into the meeting. Dumbledore let out a sigh, thinking of people to send for the dangerous mission. You knew how serious it was, when you saw concern in Molly's eyes.

"I'm not letting my children to go on this mission."

She said, fear laced through her voice. You glanced at Sirius and you knew he was going to volunteer for it. No matter how dangerous it was, he was ready to do whatever it takes. And so was Remus.

"Remus and I will go."

Dumbledore seemed to be happy with it, and you realised everyone else had fear wrapped around their hearts, considering this mission was going to be unexpected, and even Severus could not tell what the Death Eaters were planning to do.

"You cannot be careless. They can be deceiving."

Severus remarked, as he realised Sirius and Remus were the ones going on the mission. You bit the inside of your cheeks, knowing his words would ignite an argument.

"Careless?"

Sirius retorted, and you rolled your eyes, not wanting to be part of the argument. It always happened whenever Severus opened his mouth, or the other way around and you were used to it by now.

"You are not the same anymore."

Severus felt his heart tightened at your words, and you almost cower in fear at his gaze. He ignored you for days and when you came to him, he treated you as if you were not his lover. It was exhausting, and your heart could not take it anymore.

"You do not know what you are talking about, Y/N."

He sighed, and you shook your head, not letting him to walk away from you again without any resolution to your problem. You loved him, but it felt like he was not in love with you anymore, if he ever loved you at the first place.

"Am I losing you, Severus?"

His heart broke, seeing tears in your eyes, and you did not get to say anything else as he wrapped his arms around you, letting you melt into his touch.

"No, Y/N. I love you."

His words did not mean so much to you anymore. It really felt like he was forced to say it, not to hurt you even further but you decided to believe him. You knew he would not do anything to hurt you. He loved you.