Chapter 28

When your daughter sees other girls having mother-daughter time and she's wondering where hers is, it can break even the manliest men.
                                     -Anonymous

Roman

I let out a deep sigh and shut my laptop down. Today was really exhausting and I needed to get more sleep but I was sick and worried about Royalty. Heck, she's something else, that girl! She can frustrate my life and all she says is 'sorry' and if she doesn't then 'okay'.
           Though, I've learnt many things about her and I've been trying my best to spend more time with my baby.

Parenting isn't easy I swear, I didn't know it was this hard... Those couples with kids deserve an award. And my case is different.

Single parent.

Damn.

I dipped my fingers through my hair. I want to give her what she wants, she'd been rejected for the six years of  her life and I want to- no, will put change to that and it's going to be hard, even to understand her. She'd gone through enough and I don't want anything to happen to her.

I suddenly stood from my desk chair, taking notice of something. She hadn't come to disturb me like her now-turned-routine and I was anxious so I made my way to her room. It was widely left ajar displaying the view before me. There she was, lying flat on her bed, I couldn't see her face because she had it facing the bed.

HOW THE HELL IS SHE BREATHING?

I slouched by the door, watching as her back rises as she sobs quietly, I somehow feel guilty which I don't want to feel. I want to go through what she's going through. She doesn't deserve this anymore. I'm the worst parent ever, I'll admit that because I can't deny the truth, I won't deny I don't know how to treat a kid. But they annoy me... Alot.

Just like the one here

I was thinking of possible things that will draw her attention to me, "I guess you're not hungry then?" My face turned into a deep frown when she didn't even bulge before she would flinch when she heard my voice and completely break down upon my appearance and currently she's ignoring me.

"Why are you crying because you got no sandwich? Heck! I could order one now."

I know and understand how much she loves sandwiches and I'm gonna spoil her with it tonight (in case you're wondering, she never gets tired of food). I'm ready to spend my whole night with her as long as I see her smile, laugh, joke, give and in fact steal out of my food.

I'm just going to believe she'd been crying because she doesn't have any sandwich or her best friend didn't give her. I abscond to the living room and grab the house cell phone to my ears, having dialed the order number.

"Hello, this Star Cakes..."

I even ordered some other snacks for her before cutting the line and hurried back to her room.

Why am I rushing?

"It'll be here before you know it."

I was confused when she cried loudly and I still didn't say anything.

Really, I'm frustrated, I've been talking to myself all this while. Damn.

"Talk to me."

Usually, I use my business voice if she acts stubborn so I'll know what's going on in her mind but I decided to go cool with my soft voice even if it was hard.

But... We're still going to believe it's because of the sandwich.

A beam replaced my frown when she made an attempt in turning to me. At some point, I got annoyed but I didn't want her to see me annoyed so I feigned it, it was taking forever for her to just turn.

Royalty will kill me one day

She hiccupped, "I don't want a sandwich."

My lips pursed while I tilt my head, did she hear right? Did she just reject Sandwich? Oh I better be daydreaming.

After regaining from my shocked state, I inquired, "you don't? Then why the tears? You should've told me earlier."

She looked away, bringing her knees to her chest and her head on the head headboard like she was in deep thoughts.

This girl!

The next thing I heard from her completely caught me off guard. I never thought she would say those bitter words that made me almost stumble backwards.

"I don't know if she's going to like me anymore."

"Like you?" It was getting above my boiling range, why will she think of that? Why would she think her best friend isn't going to like her again. Even if I don't know that best friend of hers other than her name, I know they are more than best friends.

Her sobs became louder every freaking seconds, "nobody liked me before and I don't want it to happen again."

My heart completely shattered at her words. Guilt and anger washed over me. It'd all been my fault if I hadn't been a good father all these years. My baby doesn't deserve this.

"Baby." I walked over to her and sat at the end of the bed, I pulled her to my side, resting my head on hers.

Am I really doing this?

I just hugged her. Even though we've been loosening up and hanging out a bit with each other, I never shared any hugs with her, it was he that always hugged me.

I softly brushed her soft black hair with my fingers. My daughter shouldn't be going through all of this. But me, being the idiot of a dad, don't know what to do or say anymore. I mean, it's not my fault that I'm not the type that likes to spend the day cuddling. I'm always the business guy, always drowned with work and hot chicks.

After going through my mind of any sensible word to say, I confessed, "you should not think like that Royalty.''

"But it's true... You didn't like me before, Grace, au-"

And, I never expected my lip to press her small nose.