009

FLASHBACK

FLASHBACK

────── {. .} ──────

ALICE PLACED THE HOT BISCUITS ON THE DINNER TABLE. Maeve brought her little hand up and went to reach for the biscuit but her mother tapped her hand away. "What was the for?" Maeve mumbled as she clutched her hand to her chest.

"They're hot, you're going to burn yourself." Her mother scolded her. Maeve frowned as she stared at the biscuits. The cloud of smoke grazed over them letting her know that her mother wasn't lying. "I'm sorry," Maeve mumbled. She didn't mean to mess up, she was trying so hard to have the best for her mother.

Sometimes she didn't listen when she should've or she made big messes that she couldn't clean up alone.

Her mother ruffled the top of her head, messing up her perfectly combed hair. "Don't worry," She smiled before walking back to the kitchen. "Mom?" Maeve mumbled. But it seemed that Alice must've heard her. She turned around to face her daughter.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" She said while rushing over and gently swiping the hair from her face. Maeve pursed her lips and looked sadly at her. "I'm sorry," She apologized again. Tears threatened to spill out of her eyes as she looked up at her mother.

"Hey," She said softly as she pulled the little girl close. Alice wrapped her arms around her daughter tightly. She never wanted her to feel guilty or not loved. No matter what she did she always felt like it was never enough for Maeve. But Maeve would disagree.

The lengths that she had gone to protect her were admirable. Maeve never received the love that Alice had given her until she began living with her when she was seven.

It wasn't hard to notice that Maeve was still affected by everything. Now even at ten, Maeve had nightmares. She could still vividly remember everything in detail.

Maeve held her breath hoping it would suppress the tears but it only made it worse. She clutched onto her mother's shirt tightly as she sobbed into the shirt. Her mother held onto her small body until all of her tears had dried up. She pulled away and wiped underneath her eyes before kissing her forehead.

There was no specific time that could pinpoint when Maeve started calling Alice her, mom. It happened a lot quicker than expected.

Alice hadn't thought about any of the real issues that would with raising a girl by herself but it was a challenge she was willing to tackle.

"Come help me cook dinner, you can have that biscuit you wanted." She patted the top of Maeve's head. Maeve nodded and followed behind her to the kitchen. She already had the water at a boil on the stove. "I need you to mix these three ingredients for me." She said softly as she placed the three smaller bowls for Maeve to grab.