013

⊱ ────── {⋅

────── {. .} ──────

"SHOULD'VE BROUGHT JACKETS," JEAN SAID AS HE HUGGED HIMSELF. Maeve hummed and agreed with him. It was a lot colder than usual, perhaps it was her nerves.

"Aren't you nervous?" She asked him. He shook his head and leaned back, resting his weight on his palms. "How come?" Maeve turned towards him. "I don't know, I just feel like this is going to go perfectly. Plus I got you," He smiled. Maeve's cheeks burned up and she turned away shaking her head hoping he didn't notice her get flustered.

"What about you?" He asked. Maeve turned back over to him. "Yes, I'm scared." Maeve thought about it. Could she avoid her mother, if she couldn't would it be harder to leave again?

"So much could go wrong, I can't help but think of that." She shuttered at the thought of Marley catching them. Although she doubted they would be if they did. It'd be over for all of them. Marley would show no mercy for the Eldians of Paradis.

"I try not to think of the worst to come, It'll only make it harder to act." Jean shrugged his shoulders. He couldn't worry too much about the future especially when it wasn't certain he would have one.

"Let's go inside before we get sick," Maeve stood up and reached her hand out for him to take.

He jumped up and followed her back down the ladder on the side of the building back to the barracks. "Come with me," She said referring to her room. Jean didn't speak but he nodded his head and quietly followed behind her. It was late at night and everyone would most likely be asleep by now.

"Maeve, it's late. What're you doing up, we have a busy day tomorrow." Hange scolded Maeve. She smiled awkwardly and scratched the back of her neck. Jean grabbed her hand to pull her away and save her from Hange. But Hange noticed it far quicker than Maeve did.

"Oh, don't mind me. Continue doing what you're doing. Just don't forget protection and I'll see you in my office tomorrow." Hange waved their hand and turned around before disappearing down the hallway. "That was embarrassing," Maeve's cheeks flushed pink.

"Let's hurry before we see Levi," Maeve quickly dragged Jean down the hall to her room. The last person she wanted to find with Jean this late was him. He'd scold her and never let her hear the end of it. Levi would act like an overprotective father and tease her for being with Jean of all people.

She opened the door and closed it quickly behind her. Jean walked over to one of the walls, there were a bunch of drawings taped up. Some were of people he didn't know and others were of the scenario in Paradis.

"You know how to draw?" Jean asked as he slowly grazed his fingertips over them, careful not to smudge the charcoal. "Yeah, they're not that good." Maeve walked over towards him and rested her chin on his shoulder. "I can draw, I used to before joining the Scouts. I'm sure I'm not any good now." Jean frowned.