Chapter 11: Towers of Glass In The Lion City

Start from the beginning

Remille looked back at the Prime Minister with optimism in her eyes, believing this was the outcome she had longed for two years ago. The outcome where she could avert disaster not only for herself but for Parpaldia as a whole.

With a sincere smile that was inconceivable two years ago, along with a stoic voice, she agreed to formally open relations between USEA and Parpaldia on behalf of the latter.

....

Esthirant, Parpaldia Empire

February 19, 1640

The afternoon sun hangs above the beating heart of the Parpaldia Empire. Within a grandiose palace that sat in the upper quarters of the city, a man in his late 20s with silver hair, dressed in his red royal garments meant to represent the Empire, was standing at his balcony, gazing at the palace's garden that was full of colourful flowers.

After taking a whiff of fresh air, he turns around and proceeds to the dining hall. As he took a seat, he picks up a cup of tea that was prepared for him and takes a sip. As he places the cup down on the table, he sees the doors across from him open. Coming through the doorway was a man in his mid-30s with hair that barely reached his shoulders. This man gave a bow of respect before the seated man spoke.

"Inos, I am assuming this is an update from Madame Remille, yes?"

The long-haired man, now identified as Inos, who was the Director of the Southern Strategy Office of the Civil Strategy Department of the National Strategy Bureau lifted his head to respond.

"Yes, your majesty. Madame Remille's delegation had informed us that their meeting with this nation called 'USEA' occurred yesterday. They mentioned that USEA is far from a barbarian country and that they are quite receptive to wanting to forge strong commercial ties with ours."

Inos stopped speaking, but the man that was seated, Emperor Ludius, stared directly into Inos' eyes, suspecting that what he said was only part of the story. Under the gaze of suspicion from the Emperor, Inos reluctantly continued.

"Madame Remille has also emphasized that this USEA, is I quote, 'just as she expected'. Their military so far based on her observations, comprise of repeating muskets, iron elephants with explosive magic and steel wyverns capable of flying at incredible speeds. In short, they not only outmatch us, but also the Holy Milishial Empire."

Ludius takes another sip from his cup of tea. He ponders for a few minutes as he kept eye contact with Inos.

"Noted. Anyways, what are their current plans? USEA and Remille that is."

"USEA has made it clear that they would permanently house troops on Rodenius as they have a defence treaty with the Qua-Toyne principality and the Kingdom of Quila. As for Madame Remille, Madame Remille says she and the delegation were invited for a tour in the USEAN capital called Singapore for 3 days and 2 nights. She has requested for your blessings to proceed with the tour."

Ludius looks to the glass table in front of him. Although his heart felt like something was wrong about the state visit, he couldn't help but shake the feeling that the danger isn't really towards Remille but rather to the Parpaldia Empire as a whole. He felt as though there were daggers pointed towards his back and it was not the USEANs who will plunge it. He made a difficult decision with his inner thoughts.

"I will allow it. She and the rest of the delegation have my blessings to conduct this state tour. But do inform them to gather as much information as possible for our own use. Also be sure to inform them that diplomats from Mu and the Holy Milishial Empire are expected to arrive in 2- and 3-weeks' time."

"As you command, your majesty."

The greenlight was given for the Parpaldia delegation to depart Rodenius for Singapore for a 3 day long tour. At the same time, USEA was made aware of more delegations coming from Mu and the Holy Milishial Empire scheduled to arrive in USEAN territory in 2 and 3 weeks respectively.