THIRTY-THREE

"Hey (y/n)," Sheriff's vocie greeted over the phone, "Derek and Allison's father are being released and their charges dropped, if you want to come down here-"

"Oh that's great to hear Sheriff! Thank you for calling me, I'll be down there in a moment," I shot back, already grabbing my stuff, and heading out the door. 

"By the way (y/n), how are you, I heard-"

"I'm fine Sheriff thank you for asking, but right now I'm just focused on having Stiles back," I cut him off knowing what he'd say next. 

"Yeah me too kiddo me too."

After stopping for some warm and freshly glazed donuts, I finally arrived at the police station. I stood in front of Sheriff's office door hand full when he spotted me. He mouthed something and they turned around. Allison's father clasped his hand, seeing the box of donut and Derek rushed to open the door. 

I set down the food and drinks and I didn't have time to say anything else as Derek grabbed me and pulled me into a hug. 

"I thought I lost you for good!" he cried out. I patted him on the shoulder. 

"Same Derek, I really thought I was going to-"

"But you're here, you're here now and that's all that matters." He hesitated but placed a kiss on top my head. 

"I'm not easy to kill Derek," I smirked, pulling away, grabbing my cup of tea. 

"Yeah so I've heard," he grinned back, reaching for a donut. He took a bite and moaned. 

"I'll never get over these donuts."

We laughed and they went over their plan. We had to go to Allison's house to suit up. 

On our way to Eichen house, we sat silently in the car, as we inched closer to the mental facility.

"When we get him back, do you think he'll be the same?" I asked breaking the ice.

"He'll have some pretty awful PTSD and nightmares but I think he'll be okay after a while."

"Does a nogitsune affect people's memory?" I asked again. 

"That I don't know (y/n),' Derek chuckled. 

"I wasn't expecting you to know the answer Derek," I teased, and he rolled his eyes, taking a turn parking the car in front of the House.

"I hope he'll at least remember me."

"Can you smell anything?" I said to Derek as we walked around the house. He shook his head. It was as if he had disappeared into thin air. Not a trace or a hint in the air. None on the sheets, in the damp room, not even in the basement.

"It was as if he was never here," I whispered looking around. My phone buzzed in my bag. I took it out and saw that Stiles's dad was calling me. 

"Alright we'll be right there."

We met in Stiles room. I smiled sweetly at the memories I had of this room. The night he helped me heal. When he was panicking because of my blood but managed to get me all patched up. Or when he knew I spied in on him and Cora, the day he confessed everything to his dad. 

"(y/n) did you hear?" Derek said, snapping me out of my trip down memory lane. 

"Uh..." I stalled, "something about Stiles right?"

He sighed and told me how he was headed back to his loft, expecting us to walk right into his trick, into his trap. 

"We have to outsmart him, think one step ahead of him-"

"We have to check mate him before he has the chance to do it to us," I finished. 

They all turned at me. I glared at them. I saw the chess board on the table. 

My piece was the queen. Far from everything else. Unused. 

"Why is mine still in the same place?" i wondered. They inched forward and noticed it too. My name was on the queen but it was in the same place. 

"Maybe because there's still that part of him that's looking out for you. Fighting to make sure you stay unharmed."

I looked at the sheriff. If that was the case,

"That means Stiles still in there somewhere."

The bunch of us stayed outside the loft as we watched Stiles's dad slide open the door. 

"Hi dad," I heard him say. I dropped to the floor, clutching my knees. 

He sounded like the Stiles I knew. Sweet, gentle and soft. But we all knew that something was eating away his soul, fighting to take over. And I wasn't going to let the Nogistune have my Stiles.