Twenty- The Return of Brimstone

Returning to school was like a slap in the face with a dead fish that had been sitting under ice for five days.

Frank didn't get to kiss Gerard as much as he wanted anymore. He barely got to talk to him, but Gerard had promised, before they got off the shuttle, to sneak around to see him whenever possible.

Ray was already in their room when Frank got there. "You're here!"

"I am!" Ray smiled and pulled him into a hug. "It's great to see you, man. Happy new year. You gonna take that ring out?"

"That would be a good idea, in case Gerard's lovely brother decides he wants to reacquaint his fist with my face. Also, you better expect every moment we're hanging out in private for us to be eating each other's faces."

"Gross."

"In my defense, I am in love with him." Frank started unpacking his suitcase. "It won't get too far, anyways, he got horny last week, so I get to be the horny one alone for like three months."

"That's what you get for dating someone asexual."

"I can suffer through blue balls for him."

"How romantic." Ray smiled. "How are...how are you feeling? Are you eating better?"

"Yes. Really. You can ask Gerard. I've been eating well, and he also said my ass felt bigger."

"Okay, that is not a detail I needed to know."

"I'm proud. I had to share."

"How does he even know what your ass feels like? I thought he didn't get horny."

"He got horny once, and I jerked him off. Have you ever heard of spooning, Ray? That's how we slept."

"Aww. You're the little spoon." Ray shook out one of his blazers.

"I was the big spoon a few times."

"Sure you were."

Frank rolled his eyes and left the room to go take his piercing out in the bathroom. He jumped and almost tore through his lip when he felt a presence next to him. It was just Gerard in the mirror, though. "Jesus, don't scare me like that."

Gerard pressed a quick kiss to his cheek and then turned him so that he could kiss him for real. "I wanted to get that in before Mikey finds me. Gotta go."

"Baby, wait." Frank caught his wrist. "Does he ever go to town?"

"No."

"Weekends are ours, then."

Gerard smiled.

xXx

Frank almost didn't recognize Clo when he saw her. Her hair wasn't in braids anymore, and she had an Afro that put Ray's to shame. "Your hair!"

She touched it self consciously.

"No! I love it, it looks really good." Frank sank down on the bench across from her, wanting to catch up before Ray and Ryan got there. "How was your vacation?"

"Pretty good." Her voice was a little raspy. "I got my tonsils removed."

"Yikes."

"Yeah." She took a sip of water. "Still hurts, but at least my own snoring won't wake me up now."

Frank couldn't help but laugh a bit.

Ray and Ryan sat on the benches beside them. They made mindless chatter as they ate.

"Ray."

Ray turned around. His voice was stiff. "Hello."

Frank turned around too, and glared at Mikey.

"I was wondering if you had a good vacation. Gerard said he had fun with you."

"Yes, we had fun. Paris was nice."

"What did you do?"

"Mostly stayed home and slept. We went to the Eiffel tower once," Ray said. Frank was astounded at how good he was at lying. "Why do you ask?"

"Am I not allowed to be curious?"

"I know you just want to know if I'm lying or not. I assure you I'm not."

"Do you have any pictures? You don't seem the type to go to Paris often."

"I go every summer. Neither of us took any pictures."

"Hm. Strange." Mikey wandered off.

Frank made eye contact with Gerard across the cafeteria. He smiled, and his eyes darted to Mikey.

Frank did not want to have to live like this.

xXx

Their next day was all classes. Frank passed notes to Gerard in bio, asking things he would if they were allowed to talk.

And what they were supposed to be doing.

Gerard just smiled and shook his head. He flicked the sticky note back to Frank. I miss you. Pay attention.

Frank pouted at him.

Gerard smiled.

They had returned on a Tuesday, which made them all that much closer to the weekend. But Frank was desperate for contact with Gerard, anyways.

He sat with Jenna, his tutor, in the library, zoning out while she talked about geometry and watching Gerard play violin. He didn't know what he was playing, but it sounded beautiful. It sounded familiar, like something he'd heard in his childhood long ago.

"Frank." Jenna snapped in front of him. "Concentrate."

"Sorry."

xXx

They all hung out in Ryan and Gerard's dorm that night, having a small welcome back to school party. Clo had stolen cookies from the party going on in the girl's dorm common room.

Frank liked Gerard's side of the room. Ryan's was nice too, but he liked Gerard's better. There were drawings tacked all over the walls and his nightstand was a mess of tissues and other random objects.

Frank found it very enticing.

The two of them had managed not to roll around on the floor making out as soon as it was safe to, but it was a struggle. Everyone flooded into the rooms, and Gerard pulled Frank onto his lap and nuzzled at his neck.

"I liked that song you were playing earlier," Frank said softly. "It sounded beautiful."

"Thanks. I've been practicing it for months. It's from my favorite movie." Gerard trailed kisses down the side of Frank's face.

"What movie?"

"Howl's Moving Castle."

Frank had vague memories of watching that when he was younger. "I remember that movie."

"Yeah?" Gerard turned his head and finally kissed Frank for real.

"It sounded really pretty." Frank rested his head against Gerard's shoulder. "You make everything sound pretty."

Gerard kissed him. "I'm not sure about everything."

"Everything."

"Okay, Frank."