Lucky

AN: This fic is kinda different from my usual stuff, because it doesn't have a song to go with it. I guess you could say it's based off of "Lucky" by Jason Mraz, so we'll go with that. It's mostly inspired by two things: a TikTok I saw (that's now been deleted smh), and xxprincessxx's fic "Electric Love" on Archive Of Our Own. So without further ado, my fic :)

*****

Nini and Ricky were currently lazing around her bedroom one rainy afternoon, Ricky slowly plucking at Nini's ukulele resting against her headboard, and Nini scrolling through her phone with her head in his lap.

"Ugh! I'm sick of it!" Nini said suddenly, sitting up and tossing her phone onto her bed.

"That's a vague statement. What is it this time?" Ricky asked his best friend, not looking up at her as he tried to tune her instrument.

"All these stupid trends and challenges on TikTok. Makes me so annoyed. They're all obviously staged and fake. For once, I want to see something real!" Nini complained, grabbing her phone again and reopening TikTok.

"What do you mean? It's the internet. You can't expect everything to be completely authentic." Ricky stated, setting the ukulele down and leaning forward to look down at her phone with her.

"Just look at this! It's clearly a stunt!" She said, pushing her phone in Ricky's face, forcing him to watch whatever short video was on her screen.

"All I'm seeing is two girls trying to say the same exact thing at the same time without any prior communication. Seems pretty real to me." He shrugged.

"No Ricky, they obviously talked about what they were gonna say beforehand! No one is that in sync."

"Oh, yeah of course. Totally staged." He said, playing along.

"I just don't get why people can't be real anymore!!"

"You make a fair point." He said, but he noticed that Nini was still glaring intensely at her phone. "Rant over?" he followed up, making sure she didn't have anything else to say.

"Rant over." She sighed, flopping onto her back to continue her scrolling.

It was song after song playing from Nini's phone as more time passed, and Ricky had long since abandoned his plucking on the ukulele. Nini had delved into a certain hashtag of a trend that intrigued her, and she'd gotten sucked into watching it.

"Will you ever get off that silly clock app? Weren't you just complaining about it like an hour ago?" Ricky spoke up, sick of hearing the same song playing over and over again.

"Hang on Ricky. I found a good trend." She said quickly, holding her hand up to get him to stop talking.

"Did you really? Shocker."

"I think this one is real. Like, REAL real." She said, sitting up again and shifting over to sit next to Ricky against the headboard.

"REAL real you say? Lemme see." He said, reaching for her phone to see for himself.

"Basically the challenge is to get super close to someone, like nose brushing close, and try not to kiss them. It's insane." Nini explained, looking over his shoulder.

"And you know this one isn't fake because..." he trailed off, slightly suspicious of the challenge.

"I've been watching the videos under this hashtag for almost an hour! Some are kinda staged, but the tension is real! Look at that video and tell me you're not DYING for that couple to kiss." Nini lamented.

"I guess so. You said this about that other trend too, you know the one where you kiss your best friend or some shit? Which is fucked up by the way, because no one ever asks for consent in those videos." he rambled.