25

Song: 25 by Emma Charles

Ricky and Nini.

Nini and Ricky.

They loved each other, they loved the life they had together.

They would come home from their college courses that day, make dinner, watch a movie, and fall asleep in each other's arms.

It was a picture perfect life. They would tell each other everything, leaving no room for secrets or distrust.

But good things never last, right?

These good things did last, for a very long time.

Until Ricky started coming home later, claiming he already ate. Nini would be too tired to watch a movie and fall asleep on the couch, leaving Ricky to sleep alone in their bed.

*****

They didn't talk about it for a long time.

Just two people living and working around each other

They didn't touch each other, just the occasional peck on the forehead. An acknowledgment of one recognizing the other's presence.

Few words spoken between them now.

"Did you eat today, Ricky?"

"I ate before my night class, what movie are we watching tonight?"

"I have an early morning tomorrow, I'm going to head to bed early."

"Are you going to be on the couch again tonight?"

"I think it's best, I don't want you to feel like you can't stay up."

"Okay then. Goodnight, Nini."

"Night, Ricky"

*****

Those simple and dry words soon turned into harsh and painful ones.

"Do you even like me anymore Ricky?! When was the last time we even ate together?"

"Of course I like you, we live together! You're always in bed by the time I get home, so you wouldn't even eat with me anyways!"

"That's because you're getting home later and later every night!"

"I don't even know you anymore, Nini! You love watching movies with me! You love cuddling with me at night!"

"I'm too tired, my classes are getting more and more stressful! I'm sorry I don't want to spend every waking minute with you. Seems to me like you don't want to either, otherwise you'd be spending more time here."

"You want me to spend more time here? Fine! I'll drop some classes, anything to get back to the way things were."  

"I never said you should do that. We just need to figure out our schedules, maybe don't stay out so late." 

"God Nini, you're so frustrating sometimes. When did this become so hard? What the hell happened to us?"

"I guess we grew up."

They didn't speak for the rest of the night, just carried on in silence.

Nini found herself climbing into bed after Ricky, her back facing him.

He reached over and grabbed her hand, squeezing it a few times. They turned to face each other, both letting out heavy sighs and allowing a few tears to slip out.

"Ricky, I don't know if I can do this anymore."

*****

More days went by, Nini was spending less and less time at their apartment, while Ricky had actually dropped classes to be at the apartment more.