𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟎𝟎𝟗 { She's Not Back }

Depuis le début

Sage and I. No. I wasn't going down that path again, with anyone for that matter.

I could tell she was carrying a lot of emotional baggage, demons even. Just by the way I looked in her eyes. They didn't even hold so much as a twinkle and the smile she gave me was dim reflecting my own. Adding myself into the mix would only make things worse. I make things worse.

Who needed the distraction when I was this close to fulfilling my NFL dream. So close to accomplishing something that wouldn't keep me bound to my father.

"Well don't do anything stupid. I'm kind of working up the courage to ask Vic out again. Hopefully I don't get rejected this time around." He said smiling weakly.

Miles was the type of dude who wore his heart on his sleeve. How he could do that after Brias mother walking out I had no idea. We were the exact opposite. My heart was filled with cob webs scaring anyone that came close enough away. It's just the way it is now. I had no intentions of getting involved with anyone. So the flirting last week was much of a surprise to me than to Miles.

"Are you sure about asking again?" I say getting up and stretching before grabbing my jacket on the chair. I really needed to leave now or I'd be late. Coach is gonna have my ass.

"I'm interested in her man and one shutdown is not going stop me from trying again. Plus confidence is key." He was right but I wasn't sure about this one either. Vic rejected him once why would she say yes the second time around. Unless she was interested in me. Definitely can't do that with bro code violations and all.

"I gotta head out. Tell Bria don't fall asleep when Uncle Zach is around or she won't get any flowers."

"And that's code for what exactly, Zach" he spoke in a more serious manner, his dad mode coming out.

"Don't worry about it. She knows exactly what I'm talking about." I finish cracking a smile, while opening the front door. Bria and I occasionally came up with code names when I snuck her candy or money to mess with Miles. It was our fun little secret game.

"Hey hey don't try to leave! Wait Zach, please one more game" he yelled while trying to grab both controllers while taking a bite out of his pasta.

"You know I have practice Miles and I'm already late because of you."

"Okay, fineee. See ya later baby mama!" he yelled with his mouth full. I seriously have no idea how my best friend is a dad and a good one at that.

Ignoring him, I chuckle and close the door. Ever since Miles caught me and Bria sleeping on the couch when it was her nap time he has stuck with that ridiculous nick name.

But I didn't mind

___

"Thank you, thank you. I owe you one Zach."

"Yeah, whatever. Send me the location." I had just came back from a gruesome practice and was looking forward to relaxing in my room, maybe catching up on some assignments when my phone rang, a call notification turning my black screen on.

Kelsey had convinced me, more like begged, to drive an hour down to New York City to pick her up. Apparently she was at a club with a client and they needed a ride back. What were they going to do in Syracuse anyway?

As I waited impatiently in the rented car, stuck in traffic, I figured I was going to be late. Looking down at my phone I see my father calling me again for the thousandth time this week. Deciding to answer for the first and last time, I press the green button.

"What?"

"Zachariah, I've been calling you all damn week.

"My name is Zach and what could you possibly want from me."