𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟔𝟑 { Unbreak my heart }

"𝚆𝚎 𝚠𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚜 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚔𝚗𝚎𝚠 𝚎𝚊𝚌𝚑 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢 𝚠𝚎𝚕𝚕. 𝚃𝚘𝚘 𝚠𝚎𝚕𝚕."
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

The minute the plane lands I'm up and out of my seat so fast the flight attendant has to tell me to get back in my chair. Despite my eagerness, I follow her instructions and plop back into the warm cushioned seat. I aim to get the wifi signal back on my phone instead of staring at the back of Zachs head like I have been for the past hour.

His latest confession left us at odds. I remind myself it was the alcohol talking and not him.

Like it was impossible for him to feel even a fraction of what he admitted.

We gather our stuff without saying a word to each other. Once I finish going through my carry-on, I realize his headsets are still around my neck. I don't hesitate to take them off and hand them back to him.

He notices my extended arm and then looks back up at me. I swear the encounter lasted a whole minute before his hand brushed against mine to take them back.

I shivered at the brief contact before returning to my previous task.

There's no doubt in my mind that this weekend was going to be long and full of awkward tension. But this weekend wasn't about us. It was about Izzy and making her feel as loved as possible before her life would change forever.

My movements paused when his sober voice cracks the silence. "I don't know how to do this."

Surely enough I find the courage to meet the silver pools of gray illuminating his eyes. The expression on his face has the ability to undo every awful thing I've said in the last three hours.

I swallow the lump in my throat. "Do what?"

It's a whisper but I hear it clearly. "Pretend we never happened."

Time pauses.

I open my mouth to respond, to say anything that would give him the slightest bit of hope and right when I do, the cockpit door slams open.

"Mr. Stone, a pleasure flying you and your girlfriend." An older man dressed in a pilot's uniform spoke enthusiastically.

I almost choke on my cough.

Zach's expression fell but he hid it so well that it made me question what else he was hiding. "Thank you, Mike."

I follow Sierra through the plane door and down the red carpeted steps before we can even speak on his last statement.

___

Once we made it to Izzy and Zach's enormous three-story home, I yelled at the top of my lungs when Vic answered the door shouting surprise. I dropped my stuff in one of the guest bedrooms I'd been in before and had to call someone to the third floor when I couldn't find my way back down. Izzy gave me a tour of the baby's nursery and combined with the bathroom, I'm pretty sure it was bigger than my entire studio apartment.

Their house was huge but it still felt homey with only just the two of them. It wasn't spotless at every corner, family pictures lined the walls and you could tell the baby's arrival was near because boxes of toys and diapers littered every hall.