𝐞𝐬𝐭. 𝟓𝟏 { Midnight Rain }

"𝚆𝚊𝚜 𝚒𝚝 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚊 𝚕𝚒𝚎?"
~~~

𝐒𝐚𝐠𝐞'𝐬 𝐏𝐎𝐕

Emotionally I don't think I'm strong enough for another heartache.

Mentally, I'm almost near my breaking point.

But physically I look and feel fine.

The irony.

"Sage, I swear to god if I had known. I would have never brought her to meet you guys let alone agree to dance with her. I look and feel like the biggest idiot." Vic cradles her head beneath her arms, biting her lip anxiously. The look on her face is mixed with guilt and sorrow.

I sigh, sitting at the edge of her cream colored Queen sized bed to collect my thoughts. After explaining everything to Vic on the ride here my mind has been racing uncontrollably with doubts.

"Vic, it's not your fault. Meeting her was bound to happen someday. I just didn't think it would be like this." The topic of exes was a sore subject everyone had to deal with. I zone out at my phone that has been ringing nonstop since I've gotten in the limo Mr. and Mrs. Xu rented for the night.

Zach has been calling and texting me nonstop. It started off with random things. Like, text me when you reach. Congratulate Victoria for me? Are we okay? Talk to me, Sage. Are you coming home? Please answer me. And the final one. I'm sorry.

"You think theres a possibility he's still in love with his ex. They were ages ago, Sage. Miles even told me Zach hasn't been in a committed relationship in more than three years. And I doubt you can count high school relationships as real relationships." Vic adds the last part and I know she's just trying to make me feel better.

I shut my phone off for the night and chuck it in the pile of plush pillows before answering. "I-I don't know what he feels for her. I just know the history, the love, there's a possibility it could all still be there. He could barely watch the performance without blinking and when I asked him about it he just said he needed some air and left."

"He could've been in a state of shock too you know. I mean if I saw Jett in the audience while I was performing, I think I'd probably freeze for two seconds then go back to dancing." She props herself up from the bed and hangs her silver medal along with the rest of the thirty or so sitting up on the shelf along her wall.

I let my fingers run through my hair as I massaged my temples for the third time in the last twenty minutes. The action eases my ongoing headache. "Yeah...that makes sense. I think...I don't know. Could I be overreacting?"

Victoria plops back into the soft cushioning of her mattress and grabs my unsteady hands to stop them from shaking. "All I'm saying is put yourself in his shoes. This week has been a roller coaster for all of us and I think Luna showing up probably just tipped him over the edge. You know?"

"Is that why you didn't want to introduce Miles and Bria to your parents." I quizzically ask.

I knew since the minute I saw her that was the real reason behind her nerves. Victoria rarely got nervous before a performance so it was easy to pinpoint the contributing factor was the fact that they had yet to introduce the topic of parents.

She bites the inside of her cheek before turning to lay flat on her back. I do the same. So now we're both staring at the renaissance themed ceiling. "I don't know, maybe. It's just not the right time especially since I'm finally going to start standing my ground about art. I don't want my parents to think they had anything to do with my decision."