Chapter 15 (B)

This particular night, you're not on the top of your roof scoping for bad guys. No, tonight is just for you to relax. These past few months have pushed you in so many directions, and you're so grateful Leo understands the position you're in. So every other week, he'd give you a day to yourself. 

Crime doesn't exactly stand still, but the boys have assured you that they have it handled. Donnie said once that they have less to worry about. So it's easier to manage. Being heroes was literally what they lived for. You were still trying to figure out what you wanted to do with your life, so it wasn't fair to expect you to be on call every waking moment.

Tonight, there's no outfit. Just a baggy hoodie and some sweats. Your feet are dangling from the ledge as you gaze off at the sky. New York really was a beautiful place, despite the prominent flaws. The ringing at the back of your head makes you flinch. You spin around, and you're shocked at the male behind you. "R-Raph?"

He grins. "Thought ya were losing your touch." He steps out from behind the pillar, moving closer to you. "Never." you smile.

Raph's eyes narrow when he notices the spectacles on your face.

"Ya wear glasses?"

"O-Oh no I.." you lower your head, looking away. "I uhh used to. T-These aren't real. I had ones just like these before you know, before I got these powers." Raph inches closer, standing beside you. "

"It's weird I don't even really know why I put them on sometimes. I just feel like I need the reminder. Although I'm different now, that part of me, I never want to forget it. Because it's a big part of who I am. It's what guided me to accomplish all that I have until this point. "

You know this is possibly a boring dribble to Raph. You aren't sure why you even unload all of this. He takes a seat right next to you now.

"It's not weird. " you turn. Raph is looking right at you. "I know what it's like feeling like ya gotta hide who you are from the world. For us, it's always been second nature. Dad told us that people up there, they'd never truly accept what we are. Ya got it harder than us. Showing people that part even though you know they aint gonna understand you, it ain't easy. It's good to remember that."

Wow.

You have no words. Raph has once again left you speechless. When did he become the sensitive one?

"Besides, I think ya pull off the nerd look."

You're laughing as you smack his shoulder. "Just when I think you might be a decent guy, jerk." you tease. Raph lets out a soft laugh, nudging your shoulder. "Gotta reputation to uphold."

"How could I forget, that whole tough guy thing is just a front then. You're a cuddly teddy bear."

"Why don't ya try and find out." Your face is glowing in the dim light, and nothing can really take the smile off your face. You love the ease you feel when talking with Raph. It could be your teenage mind creating scenarios in your head, but it almost feels like he's flirting with you.

"So what's the big bad Raph doing out here anyway?"

"Needed a break from Leo's smuck talk." you're giggling again.

"You know I'm sure there's some advice you can salvage from his pep talks."

"I prefer to just punch stuff."

"Understandable."

A smile settles on Raph's face. Even sitting he still manages to tower over you. Your hands are close, but not touching. The silence sort of drags on, and you don't want to look away from him. You can stare into his eyes forever. 

You lean forward to say something, but your hand drifts, brushing against his. He looks down the same time you do, and when you raise your head to apologize, somehow he's gotten closer. Your heart skips, breath still.

"Ya really do look cute with those glasses on." His words are a deep whisper. Your lips quiver, and you release your breath shakily. You can't prepare much of a response. Not at all.

The moment he starts talking to you, he knows that he's entered the red zone. When he left the lair that night it was to get a breather. The patrol felt like it had been going on forever, and he realizes it's because you weren't there.

In your company he never wants it to end. He guesses that's why he ended up on your roof. He never expected that you would actually be on the roof, but he isn't complaining. After listening to all your words, it's like you truly understand him. You don't just empathize, but you get him. Just when he thought he couldn't fall any harder for you, you go and put on a pair of glasses. Damn it.

On Donnie, all he can see is nerd. Plain and simple. But on you, well let's just say he wouldn't mind if you never took them off. It illuminates an innocence that strikes him right in his heart. More so because he knows all the different sides of you now. Not just the hero, but the person. The high school student. Scholar. You're both brain and brawn as Mikey would say.

A loud ring makes you both jolt. Raph glares down at the small device, pulling it out of his pocket. The way he's looking at it you can tell that he's probably plotting the murder of whoever is on the other side of that call. So he answers, pissed.

"This better be good Leo." You're blushing again. It's obvious that he was just as invested in the little moment as you. He's listening to whatever his brother says, then finally he lets out a huff. "I hear ya. "

He hangs up quickly, from the sound of it mid sentence. "I gotta go."

"I kinda know how it feels now when I always duck out on Milo." you snicker. Raph grins.

"Don't think you're a little pretty boy would mind if he knew what you were doing."

"Guess you're right."

You sort of want to tell him to stay. The boys can handle themselves. Selfishly, you want more time with Raph. At the same time you know it must be urgent if they called him personally.

"So, guess I'll see you tomorrow.'' There's a hopeful twinkle in your eyes, and Raph wonders if you're implying something else with those words.

"Course ya will." he replies coolly. He ruffles your hair and you push his hands away laughing. He's headed off in the opposite direction, jumping over a ledge, off to save a life. You can't do much but admire from your spot.

Tomorrow.

It can't come soon enough.