Chapter 12

"I'll get it Aunt May!" you race to the door. Pulling it open, a grin breaks out on your face.

"Miss me Parker?" That's an understatement.

"Hailey Osborn. Done with your tour of the world." you jest.

"Hah ha, very funny. It was an internship for your information. " You gasp dramatically, and she steps inside as you close the door.

"Didn't realize billionaires actually apply for those." 

Hailey rolls her eyes, pulling you into a hug. "It's been too long. " She says softly. When she pulls away she's conveying something different on her face. "I heard about your uncle, I'm so sorry (Y/N)."

"Thanks Hailey." she rubs your shoulder. "Whatever you need just tell me, I'm here for you."

This was exactly what you needed. Just a friend you could lean on.

"So tell me, anything new happened at school."

The knowing look on her face says it all. You groan in annoyance. "Alright, just tell me what you heard." She cackles. "Oh so much. Word is you beat the shit out of Faith, then you stole her man. " They really loved to stretch the truth.

"I didn't beat her, just scared her a little. "

"And Milo?"

"He's.." your mind trails off, and that's when you recall your last encounter. "Shit." You completely forgot about that. He must think you're some type of unstable psycho now. You shoved him, not easy either.

"Really making a name for yourself. I had no idea this love triangle existed."

You want to defend yourself, but May comes in, greeting Hailey. You just watch their interaction, and you barely hear whatever it is they are saying, because every time you solve one issue, another arises, and it's really starting to get to you. 

When would you catch a break?

~~~~

"So, did you hear? Apparently Faith is turning a new leaf. She joined the chess club." 

Hailey is speaking animatedly, and if you'd actually heard that statement, there would have been more of a reaction. Your eyes won't focus on just one person. They dart through the hall from student to student. Spotting a sapphire gaze, you freeze, so does the owner of those beautiful hues. His shoulders tense. 

As you get closer, the tension is so tight you're convinced the entire school can feel it. You know that's all in your head though. You stop at his locker, and he looks down almost immediately. Before he can fully excuse himself, you step in front of him. You don't want to initiate contact, because from the reaction you've just received, he's more than a bit unnerved by you now. 

"Can we talk, please." 

Oh how the tables have turned. It's like deja vu. Now you're the one who needs to apologize and hope for forgiveness. Milo just nods, and he walks off, you follow.

"Wow, don't mind me. I'll just stand here all by myself. No big deal." Hailey's voice falls on deaf ears.

~~~~

Now standing in the empty courtyard, you expect the hostile treatment. You deserve it.

"Listen Milo, about last time."

"You're a hypocrite." You're baffled at his audacity.

"Excuse me!" And here you were about to apologize.

"You gave this big speech about being a good person, a good friend, yet when I try to be you act like I'm the dirt beneath your feet."

"I-I didn't say that!"

"Yeah, well why the hell are you always running away from me. Then out of the blue you're yelling and acting all weird. I get that you're still uncomfortable but it's been weeks. I'm trying to change. Why won't you just let us be friends. "

"Why do you want to be friends, we have absolutely nothing in common on any level."

"How do you even know that if you won't even let me get to know you, get close to you."

"WHY DO YOU WANNA GET CLOSE TO ME!

"BECAUSE I LIKE YOU DAMMIT!!" 

Through your yelling and huffing, that particular statement is what registers. Milo sighs in defeat. His eyes convey too much. It could be because you were previously distracted that you failed to notice the lack of space. 

"M-" He closes the gap, a hand slipping into your hair. All you can do is inhale. Nothing else is functioning. But, there's no doubt about it. Milo is kissing you. Your fists clench, eyes shut. You should pull back, or at least shove him, but you're paralyzed. It's a few more moments before he departs. He bits his lips, arms still around you. His eyes search yours for a second, then he fully moves back.

"I'm sorry... ''

Another apology. 

What are you supposed to do with that?