Chapter 4

"Raph, we saved her and the guy was arrested."

They were standing at the top of a building further away, watching the chaos unfold below. Raph gripped at his chains, watching the blinking blue and red lights.

"Yeah, I still don't know why we even saved that bastard. " He's more than a little irritated. Leo knows that. But as much as Raph tries to act tough and uncaring, he knows he'd never let something like that happen, even if the male was a criminal.

There are still parts of the story that don't quite make sense to Leo though. The abilities he saw you displayed for one. If he hadn't been there he wouldn't have believed it.

"That chick, she wasn't human Leo." Raph's statement really made him question a lot of things.

"She's like us.." He muttered. Leo moved closer, placing a hand on his shoulder. Leo wasn't blind, he knew how much his brothers still felt a bit like outcasts. They'd come a long way, but it would always be the need present. The one that hoped to find more people that understood them, not just sympathy, but actual understanding.

"We need to be careful, we could have been seen. Vincent was pretty clear about it all. We were the ones that wanted to remain hidden. She can't protect us if we're being reckless, Raph." Of course he knew that, but when he saw your body falling from the glass, something in him snapped. 

His intention was to grab you both with his chain, but he'd misjudge the angle. Raph was fully willing to scale down that building if it came down to it, but as he'd witnessed, it wasn't needed. You apparently had it handled. Even at his distance, he could make out your figure below. He may have been imagining it, but he swore your eyes caught him for a split second. He took a step back, looking down.

"The hell.." 

The quick lock of your eyes at the side of the building, and now again from below. He didn't like the feeling in his chest. Mainly because he didn't understand it. You were a stranger to him, and it would probably stay that way.

"Let's go." Raph spoke gruffly. He needed to leave, gather his thoughts and bearings. It was silly, but at the back of his mind, he kind of hoped he'd get to see you again.

~~~~~~~~~

One Week Later

You were no closer to finding any answers. At least not for the figure you'd seen that night. The rest of your problems, that was a different story. The fact that you were now built like a freaking olympic gymnast was the most alarming. Especially since you'd never had a single athletic bone in your body. Your vision had somehow improved as well. To Aunt May's surprise and yours. Through your analysis you'd been able to get done using your school's lab, you realize that the bite that you assumed was insignificant turned out to be anything but that. The cell's of your blood were completely changed. 

Right about now you weren't sure if it was such a bad thing, aside from almost ripping the door off its hinges yesterday when you were rushing to use the bathroom. The mark on your hand was gone, not even a trace. You contemplated going back to the University and asking some questions. Then again, if they found out about your most recent side effects, you may end up being just like one of those spiders in containment. 

You flexed your fingers, shoving the books into your locker hurriedly. A paper fell out at your aggressive antics and you grumbled. Turning you moved to get it, but someone else had already reached for it. Raising your head, you were met with the smile of Milo. You straightened, tucking a lock of hair behind your ears. 

"Hey, you should be more gentle with your stuff otherwise they'll keep running away." He joked. You smiled shyly, taking the worksheet.

"T-Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." he was still watching you, and he titled his head in thought.

"Hey, you got contacts." you blink.

"Contacts....Oh! Yeah I did. " You were a little shocked he noticed you even wore glasses.

"You look good." Blushing at the compliment, you nod, trying to refocus on putting your stuff away.

"And thanks again for the other day. I was literally lost in chemistry. You really helped me understand the concepts better. You should be a tutor or something. You're great at science. "

You were a bit interested in being a professor, if you could survive high school that is.

"It wasn't a problem, really. Science is like my safe space. It's one of the few things I understand, easier than people sometimes."

"Ugh, why the hell did I say that?"

Now he probably thought you were some sort of antisocial muck.

"I get that. With me it's sports. I feel in control when i'm out on the field just sweating, you know."

"Yeah, I guess I kind of do."

He was the last person you thought you'd be able to relate to.

"Parker!!" you wince at the pitch of that tone.

Faith.

Her parents should have named her screech honestly. That's all you associated her face with.

"What did I tell you about flirting with my boyfriend?" A few of the students attention was now focused in your direction. Milo stepped forward, taking her arm gently.

"Hey relax, it's not like that we were just talking." She yanked her arm away, staring angrily back at you.

"Now he's defending you. You're such a slut, you can't find your own so you try to steal someone else's!"

"Faith!" 

You knew Milo was just trying to help, but you felt like his input was just making it worse. You should have just walked away the moment you saw him. It wasn't worth it getting trashed on for a guy who was really just talking to you out of pity.

"I'm not interested in you or your boyfriend, if that's all I'd really like to get to my other class." You went to grab your book, but she slammed your locker, pressing her back to it as she glared at you.

"Please, you think you're all that just because you're a freaking teacher's pet. It's pathetic. Then you use that to get sympathy from people just because you lost your uncle. He's probably better off dead I'm sure he prefers that rather than dealing with a sad little bitch like you." you clenched your fist, driving it into the locker right next to her head. Her body went still, and the area went into complete silence. You removed your hand slowly, arm trembling. The indent your fist made caused a few gasps to echo. Faith was terrified.

"Geez, she really is a freak." someone muttered.

You didn't say a word, what could you say? Taking a step back, you turn, running out of the school.

At that very moment, you just wanted to disappear.