All of a sudden, there is a knock on our door, Julian sits up. Both of us look at the door. “I will get that,” I say, standing up. Strolling towards the door, I unlock it. Amber stands there with the forbidden book. The book was wrapped in a cloth. “Amber,” I say and peek over my shoulder to see Julian smirking. ‘This idiot.’

I turn back to her, “I didn't mean to intrude.” She says, “It's just I don't think this book should be with me.”

“Come in,” I say and give her some space to enter. She enters and smiles at Julian. He nods in acknowledgment. I close the door behind me, “Why is that?” I ask.

“Because Zara doesn't know anything about this.” she turns around and shrugs, “Not that I tried telling her.” She saunters towards my desk and places the book on its surface, “If this book stays with me, there is always a chance that Zara might find it out. And she might tell the teachers. So, I think this book should be here. Because Julian and you both know and there is no danger of getting exposed.” She moves away from the desk.

Nodding, I walk towards the desk and place my hand on it, “If that's what you want it's okay.” She nods back and turns to leave.

“What else did you discover?” Julian says all of a sudden.

She turns to face us, “I almost forgot.” She glances at Julian, “Thank you for reminding me.” She points at my bed, “Do you mind if I-”

“No, Am. I don't mind.” I say.

She sits on the bed and says, “So, there was a prophecy.” She outstretches her arm, “Give me the book.” I grab the book and remove the cloth. Placing the cloth, I pass it to her. I sit beside her, Julian jumps off his bed and settles beside Amber's other side. She turns the pages and finally halts, pointing her finger towards a portion. We lean over her shoulder.

THE BOY IS BORN WITH NO GIFTS, YET HE IS SPECIALHE WILL BE THE REASON WHY WE DROWN OUR TREASURES

HE WILL BE THE REASON WHY WE DROWN OUR TREASURES

“Delphin saw the end of their dynasty,” Amber says, her eyes traveling from Julian to me. “She warned her descendants to make sure that this prophecy does not fulfill.”

“But-” Amber and Julian face me, “- who is this boy, they are referring to?” I say, pointing at the word boy. 

“I don't know,” Amber mumbles, with a confused look drawn over her face.

“Treasures - ” Ambers and I look at Julian, “- did they get defeated because of their falling financial conditions,” Julian asks.

“I don't think treasure here refers to money,” I answer. I contemplate the writing, speculating for few seconds, “What can be a treasure for someone who is like them.”

Power.” Three of us say at the same time. 

“Power is everything to them.” I say with a tint of excitement in my voice, “Think about it, They even burned off their souls to get power.” Amber nods

“They burned off their souls?” Julian raises his eyebrows.

Amber turns to him, “Soul is a basis of a person's feelings. No soul no feelings. ” She explains.

“That explains why they were cruel,” Julian mumbles and looks away.

“So what now?” Amber asks. “This book tells us about them. Not about what had happened.” She signs.  There was a silence between us, which was soon interrupted by Amber, “Should we go to Charlotte?” She asks glancing at us for our opinion. “She can at least tell us what we should do.”

“Yeah! Like that rude butterfly is going to talk.” Julian says rolling his eyes.

“We can at least try,” I say gazing at him.

°°°

“I think you should take a deep breath and back off,” Charlotte says. She folds her arm and places them over her chest.

Julian leans towards my ears and whispers, “Told you.” I turn to look at him, he shakes his eyebrows, “I am always right.”

“But Charlotte-,” Amber says taking her seat across her, while we stand near the table, gazing at Charlotte with numbness smeared over our faces. “- If we can find out who is doing this. We can save a lot of people.”

She smirks, “What if you get yourselves killed-” She unfolds her arm, placing her hand on the table, she stands up. She leans towards Amber and whispers, “- Who will be the person to be blamed, me.-” She raises her voice. “-It will be my fault and I am done taking responsibility for people's death, Amber.”

I raise my eyebrows, staring at her. “We won't get ourselves killed. ” I say even though I can only hope for it. “If you know something, please tell us.”

She displaces her hand from her table. Turning towards me, she says, “I have told you a lot.”

“But not everything,” Julian says.

“Please,” Amber says.

“Fine but what do you want to know.”

I had noted down the prophecy earlier on a page. If anyone recognizes that book we are screwed.  I pass her the page and ask, “What does this mean. If you know what it's mean.”

She rolls her eyes, “You don't know what this means?” She asks annoyed. We shake her head, “It's about Balrus.” She signs, “He is the boy of this prophecy.”

“But he is a witch,” Amber says. “He has a gift.”

“There are things about him that you don't know,” Charlotte says.

“And how do you know all this?” Julian asks, folding his arms over his chest.

“We are close.”

“How old is he?” Julian asks. I glare at him, “She only said we are close.”

“He is 34 and it's not what you think.” Charlotte mumbles, “He is like a brother to me. He is the closest thing I have to a family.”

°°°

Thanks for reading
Vote & Comment

What do you think about this chapter?

Random question.
If you had to choose between Chase and Julian, who would you choose?