The Wolf Bite

Chase Foreswift

Chase Foreswift.

"You have got this"

The street seems more diligent than normal. The lights appear to shine brightly or maybe it is me who is feeling different today.

12th March, today's date imparts both mirth and sadness to my very existence. Birthday is the day when people treat you a little differently than they usually do because it's your day and that is the reason why I am happiest on this day, that's why everybody is happiest on this day. Despite that, I remain unhappy as my parents aren't there to celebrate it with me. I feel incomplete, broken, and even fragile thinking of it.

I bite my lower lip and tap my foot gently on the ground. I am standing outside my date's house with a rose in my hand. The fold the sleeves of my blue shirt, unnecessarily. This is something that I am doing to distract myself from the anxiety that is whacking against my mind.

The air blows gently, touching my chin as my heart thumps across my chest. I have been trying to ask her out for quite a long time but never got the chance because of my anxiety.

She is Lily Campbell, the popular girl in high school and I am Chase, a nobody. I bet she hardly knew I existed until I asked her out. My eyes were fixed at the rose as I touched its petals with my fingers. I exhale when I hear the door click open.

I raise my head to glance at Lily. She stands at the door with a smile is painted over her face. A face so beautiful that made my heart smile. She tucks a lock of her red hair behind her ears.

She is wearing a black crop top with a denim skirt. She places a hand on the doorknob and the other hand traveled down to pull the back edge of her shoe. "Bye Mom." She calls out before shutting the door. She walks towards me clutching her purse to the side of her skirt. "Chase, aren't you the punctual one?" She says.

I scratch the back of my neck while my mind screams, 'Say it! Don't freak out and say it!' I let out a quiet laugh and reply with my voice as low as a whisper."What can I say, It will be unwise of me to keep a pretty girl waiting," She giggles and lowers her head. I half-smile and take a step forward stretching my hand to give her the rose, "I bought something for you."

She raises her head and gazes at me in an amazed manner, "That's so sweet of you, Chase." She stretches her hand, gradually wrapping her fingers around the stalk of the rose, before pulling it out of my hand gently.

I blush and stand there staring at her pretty face. I am frozen at my position. She comes forward and grabs my arm. "So, let's waste no more time and proceed to our destination. shall we?" She whispers. I nodded and direct her to my car.

The car isn't mine. It belongs to my father's friend, Mr. Edward Smith. He is the closest thing I have to a father. My family was killed in an accident when I was 7. Since then Mr.Smith sort of adopted me and treated me like one of his own. However, his wife, Mrs. Georgia Smith isn't fond of me. She thinks that I am a burden. She never said it though but her actions and demeanor were enough to deliver that message. She prefers to call me boy or Foreswift. She never has once called me by my name. I figured that it might have killed her to call me Chase.