Born again

Chase Foreswift

Chase Foreswift

Am I dead?

"Chase!" My eyes flutter open to Mr.Smith's frightened face. I notice I am in the hospital.

Mr.Smith sits on a stool by my bed. His beard has a few stains of grey so does his black hair. He is wearing his black-framed glasses, white t-shirt, brown coach jacket and pair of black trousers. He is holding his flat cap and his eyes held a connotation of concern, "Thank God you are okay. Boy, you scared the hell out of me."

"I am alive?" I question trying to sit. I groan when I feel a certain pain near my chest. The sunlight traveling through the window touches my face.

"Easy there." He says. I rest my back on a pillow and sigh, "What did this to you boy." He asks with confusion and fear touched in his voice. I stay numb. I don't know what it was either. 'A werewolf, maybe.' I don't know whether to lie or tell the truth. If I tell him the truth. Will he believe me?

"Umm." I hesitate. Mr. Smith raises his eyebrows eagerly. "It was a-" I sign and let it out, "-wolf." There was a tint reluctance in my voice. "It was a wolf and it attacked me."

"Jesus Christ!" He widens his eyes. I nod and press my lips into a line. "You are lucky, man. Mr.Wikson found you just in time before It was too late."

"Well, I should thank him I guess," I say.

"You betcha." He smiles with a nod. There was a silence. He stands up before putting on his cap, he says, "Chase, take care of yourself, man. You are just like my son. If anything happens to you I won't be able to forgive myself." He places the cap over his head.

I smile. 'Doesn't it feel good to know that someone cares for you?' "Mr.Smith, Thank you," I say placing a hand over my abdomen.

"For what?" He asks with amusement.

"For everything."

"Oh boy, I think you just made me cry." Both of us chuckle. "I will take you home this evening till then rest, Chase."

"Okie Dokie." then he takes off leaving me alone.

***

Mr. Smith as he has promised brought me home. There are bandages over my chest and lastly, a small bandaid stick to my forehead. Mr. Smith helps me out of the car and guides me into the drawing-room.

I lie down on the couch. I am soon accompanied by Mrs.Smith and Emma her daughter. There was a tv across the sofa. Mr.Smith turned it on and handed me the remote. "If you want to watch something, here is the remote.-" I clutch the remote and place it near me. "-If you want to read anything, you can always ask Georgia." He turns around to look at Mrs.Smith, who was standing near the door.