10

Note: Mention and references to teen depression

The Vozenilek Twins

Amber Vozenilek

They say that it was the student's bad choices that directed them to attack us. I don't believe it. I knew a boy among them, Harris. He was a sweet boy, incapable of hurting anyone. He was the only person in this whole building that I had conversed with. I feel that he was innocent they all were innocent.

An idea generates in my witchy brain. I had memorized a spell a long time ago to read somebody's mind. 'A mischievous idea is like chewing gum stuck under your shoe. Once it's stuck, a lot of effort is required to get rid of it.'

I settle at my desk, running a hand through my hair. I rub my eyes, pulling a book out from the pile. I glance at the clock and then back at the book

Zara is out for a walk. When she goes for a walk, she promises to come back within 30 mins but returns approximately after an hour or two. She always finds someone to talk to. She is the smart and beautiful twin. I mean that what our relatives say. The students in our previous school had the same opinion.

'Zara is far more talented than Amber.'

'Zara is the pretty one.'

'Learn from your sister.'

They say that I am the fat and the lazy twin. Being exhausted from their comments, I attempted to lose some weight but gave up after 3 days.

Unlike her, I can't make friends easily. I find it hard to talk to people. It's not like I don't want to.

I have this stupid concept in my head, that I can't get rid of. I am afraid that what if I say something that offends someone and he or she starts to think that I am a freak or even worse, hate me. I find it hard to go out too because I am too scared that people might judge me by my appearance. I was sometimes envious of Zara. Because she has gone out with many boys in the past but no one ever asked me out.

Everyone just advice me to be like Zara. I mean come on, Just because I look almost like her, doesn't mean I have to be just like her.

Anyways, So I go through the book for that spell. The ingredients are almost easy to obtain except for one. It is a bit risky to collect. Something that belongs to Mrs. Thalia.

'Should I risk collecting this?' I mutter.

Soon My thinkings are interrupted by my sister, "Amber, You are awake?" She says taking off her shoes and tossing them towards the rack. She rubs her palm, "What are you reading?"

"Nothing," I mumble, shutting the book. 'I don't want her to get involved in this. What if she notifies it to mom.' Her eyebrows rise with confusion.

"Nothing always means something," Zara says snatching the book away from me. I rebel and stand up in an attempt to take the book back.

"Hey, I was reading." I slap her shoulder. "Give me back my book."

"Uh-huh." She hardly pays any attention to me. "Of course you were." She passes me the book.

"What took you so long?" I try to avert her attention from me. She climbs the bed and settles at its center. I move back towards the desk, positioning the chair to face her.

"I ran into Chase." She says adjusting her t-shirt.

"Oh."

"You like him, don't you?"

"No." I could feel my lips curving into a smile. "I don't like him. I mean I like him" Zara smirks, "-but as a friend."

"He thinks you are scared of him."

I lift my eyebrows, "Why?" I am not frightened of him. I am just nervous around him. "-Why will he think that?" I repeat.

"Because, when he tried to introduce himself. You looked away."

"I thought he was talking to you. Not me." The first time we met, He said his name looking towards both of us. So I thought he might be talking to Zara, not me. I recollect this one time. When I thought a boy said 'hello' to me and when I replied, he said he wasn't talking to me but someone who was behind me and that was one of the most embarrassing minutes of my life. I don't want that to happen again.

"You tell him that." She says laying down. There is a pause between us, "Have you called Mom?"

"Why?" I ask turning to face the desk, "I met her yesterday." I gaze at my palms.

"Well. She thinks you are having some problem moving in here." She throws a paper orb towards me, "Are you having any problem moving in here, Amber?" Her voice appears concerned. "Are you okay?"

'No, I am not okay. I hate myself. I cry every night loathing my features. No matter how hard I try I am never good at anything. ' That's what I wanted to say but instead, I lie, "No, I am fine."
That's what I do lie. Lie to others. Lie to myself that one day I may be able to fight off this anxiety. Though I know the truth, that my happily ever after doesn't exist.

"Hey. "Zara says, I turn my head. She lifts her head to gaze at me, "If you need anyone to talk to. I am here."

I nod gently, turning back towards the book, "Hey, don't you think that the teachers are lying to us." I say, with my eyes fix on the cover of the book.

"What made you think so?" Zara mumbles.

"Because I have read, That if a person is possessed by a demon. He has black or red eyes. On the contrary, the students who attacked us had green eyes." I turn to place my elbow on the chair, waiting for her opinion. "Zara."

"Maybe they were."

"Don't you want to find the truth?" I say with excitement.

"Didn't you listen to that Charlotte bitch? She said that we should stay away from those." She sits up. Annoyance smears over her face,

"Since when did you start listening to rude people."

"It's not always about pride, Amber. It's about safety. I love my life, Amber."

"But-"

"We almost got ourselves killed." She throws her hand randomly into the air. "I don't want to face that situation again. If you are so interested in finding out the truth. Why don't do it yourself?"

"But I don't want to do it alone."

"And I don't want to die." She snaps, "So forget it and go back to your work."

I pout and turn back. My eyes settle on the book.

'Sometimes, I just want to turn her into a frog.'

I turn a page.

'But she is right. Finding the truth may be dangerous.'

My heart encourages me to find the truth. My brain wants me to mind my own business. I hate it when these two elements debate.

So what should it be heart or brain?

---

°Thanks for reading

>Vote. Comment. Share.

>What would you choose? Heart or Brain?

>Do you like Amber?

°I was a bit nervous and frightened while creating her intricate character, so I would like to know your opinions about her.